starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check -- please and thank you! :-)

Question Deadlift Form Check -- please and thank you! :-)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Second post here. Been deadlifting for about 1.5 years (on and off with lower back issues).

Used the trap bar at some point for a brief while ... the following video is for (only) 160lbs working set of five reps

This feels right.

Here's the video:
    YouTube

Any comments/feedback welcome! :-)

Thanks x10,000

PS
    I reached around 225lbs on the deadlift about one year ago, and bad technique is probably what CAUSED my injury in the first place. Never again!

Hips are way too low. What are your measurements? Height and weight, please. What size are those largest plates? They are either too small or you are very tall.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Hips are way too low. What are your measurements? Height and weight, please. What size are those largest plates? They are either too small or you are very tall.
    Bar forward of mid-foot...

Agree with Carson (though I'm no expert). I can see that your setup is missing a step or 2. Specifically, after you feet are in the right place, you want to bend at the waist and grab the bar (hips still high, only minimal bend in knees). From there, shins to bar (don't move the bar), and then set the back in extension. It seems to me that you bend at the knees and waist to grab the bar at the same time shins are making contact.

-Andrew

I think the bar may be too far away from your shins when you start... this is causing you to swing out around your knees just a bit.

Remember, just a 1 inch gap between the bar and your shins.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I don't know his height exactly, but it looks like he's got pretty long arms (as do I)

His hips will naturally be a little lower than most.

Hi,
    You need to get the bar a 1/2" closer to your shins during your initial setup. After your shins touch the bar, you never squeeze up into position. You are probably tightening muscles but we want to see all the slack getting pulled out of the bar as your chest rotates forward and your ass rotates towards the back wall (it's currently pointed down). You should feel all the weight in your hands... THEN press the floor away. On the descent, do not bend your knees until the bar is past them. I find it helpful to breathe, squeeze into position, then valsava. If I valsava first then I can't squeeze up as effectively.

You are breathing while the bar is off of the floor. Don't do that. Valsalva is necessary as long as you have the weight off of the floor. Only breathe when the weight is on the floor.

(Original poster here)

THANKS a lot for your criticism

Answers to your question:
    -I'm 5'11' at 200 lbs (approx. 25% body fat)
    -The largest plate is plastic coated steel (not bumpers) for 45 lbs. The largest at my gym. They're olympic, I'm assuming.
    -I DO have long arms. Picture here:
    IMG_20180715_114359.jpg

I'm currently working on integrating everything you mentioned. It's mostly all about proper setup:

Namely:
    -Start with higher hips (less knee bend)
    -Start by bending at waist, grab the bar, ass is still high, minimal kneed bend.
    -Shins to bar (1 inche gap)
    -Because *my* arms are long, hips might be lower than most. I didn't compare with friends yet.
    -To start, pull the slack out of the bar at first, feel all the weight in the hands. THEN valsalva, then "push the floor"
    -Don't breathe out/in while weight is off the floor!

Amazing comments, really helps guys! thanks.

--> NEXT TIME, use best practices for submitting videos (I'll show you more of the setup)

I will be practicing and posting again soon!

1000x Thanks

PS
    If there's a Starting Strength seminar in Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal (Canada), I'm here!

starting strength coach development program
    Are you actually located in any of those places? Just curious because I'm in Toronto and always interested in knowing more people doing the Starting Strength thing nearby. From what I gather there's only one coach in Canada (BC), so I've VERY recently started looking for a bit of a SS community in Toronto. I've managed to spot a few guys at my local Goodlife to compare notes with, but that's about it so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast