starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Press Form Check

The hip thrust should bounce the bar, down then up. You need to time your press with the "up" of this bounce. What you are doing here is the equivalent of pausing in the bottom of a squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Obviously, I should have taken a reset.
    Or maybe a longer break between sets. How long did you take?

The lock-out has improved, although there is still room to assume a more straightlined position.
    There is still some evident floppiness, although it was a limit set, so it's understandable.
    You seem to make an effort about moving the bar quickly from the start; more of that, please.

I would agree that there is a sync problem between the various bits of the first part of the lift, but I am not going to say more than that; I Press strict, and I am not familiar with what the other variants requires in terms of cueing.

Hope this helps.

IPB

Your bar path is much more inspiring :-) Maybe a hint of backwards motion on the first rep, but these look good. Timing is also good, future reps should further decrease variability.

Just to echo IPB, at the top, the bar goes over the crown of your head, not the middle of your head. You can see a useless horizontal moment arm between your shoulder joint and the bar if you freeze the video at the top. That distance in this plane should be zero. So at the top, stand up straight and rotate your torso through your shoulders a bit more (anatomically it's shoulder flexion). Feel this position at the top next time with the empty bar, holding it there on your warmup. Slowly move the bar backward and forward to find that balance point, and confirm it on video.

I had the opportunity to clean up some things on my own press by thinking through how to coach you, so thanks!

IlPrincipeBrutto,
    I took 3 minute rest between the 1st and 2nd set and 5 minutes between the 2nd and 3rd set.

This is what SSC Marie Kunkel had to say:
    “I think you could have had that last one, too, if you stuck with it a little longer. But you def could have made it a little easier on yourself if you get the bar back over your shoulder joint sooner after the bar clears the top of your head. You have really good timing with the hip bounce, your form is like 90%+ there.”

So the bar position over the shoulder discrepancy is nonexistent or minuscule, IPB and JD Keip.

Charlocity2, Marie disagrees with your assessment of the hip timing.

JD Keip, I’m glad to hear that you are improving your press. That rocks!

Thanks for your input everyone!

IlPrincipeBrutto,
    I took 3 minute rest between the 1st and 2nd set and 5 minutes between the 2nd and 3rd set.
    I think you could try 7-8 minutes next time.

As for the other observations, I am not going to challenge an SSC.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    As for the other observations, I am not going to challenge an SSC.

IPB
    Me, neither. Nicholas, I'm glad you have an SSC as a coaching resource.

starting strength coach development program
    So the bar position over the shoulder discrepancy is nonexistent or minuscule, IPB and JD Keip.
    Ok I went on about a moment arm that on second view is not there.

In defense of IPB and myself however, compare your lockout position with the illustrations in the book, with respect to bar position over the head.

I'll bet Marie is just prioritizing slamming your body forward under the bar over straightening your torso/cranium, given that a trainee can process only so many cues at once. (A good coach prioritizes. I agree with her prioritization.) And correcting one thing can often correct other things as a side effect.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123