starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Pressed 95 lbs tonight. I got it from the side this time as requested. I’m interested in what y’all think.

Nicholas R on Instagram: “Squat 185x5x3 Press 95x6,5,5 (Still can’t count) Deadlift 245x5 Got some different angles to see some things differently. I’m not sure I…”
    See the 2nd clip.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    I’m interested in what y’all think.
    I think your lock out could be improved.
    Look at the Press drawing on the cover of the second edition of SS. Then look at your finish; I think you will see a difference.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi,

I think your lock out could be improved.
    Look at the Press drawing on the cover of the second edition of SS. Then look at your finish; I think you will see a difference.

Hope this helps,

IPB
    Agreed. But good work on stopping that backward hip flexion, before the hip extension.

1. Let me add to the Lock It Out chorus. Continue pressing the bar all the way up, as high as you can, actively shrugging, delts on ears.
    2. I suspect you're not locking your lower back tightly enough. Hard abs. Related, notice your bar goes backwards as your hips go forward -- the bar should remain over mid foot.
    3. When the bar reaches your forehead, you must slam yourself forward underneath. And don't forget to lock it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Keip View Post
    2. I suspect you're not locking your lower back tightly enough. Hard abs. Related, notice your bar goes backwards as your hips go forward -- the bar should remain over mid foot.
    And the bar should drop vertically downward when you drive your hips forward.

IlPrincipeBrutto,
    Ya I need to press the bar back another inch or so. I need to be more aware of my shrug too. Are you also referring to the lordotic curve of my back at the top of my press?

Charlocity2,
    I’m really not seeing any hip flexion. I do see my rib cage coming down when I flex my abs. Am I misunderstanding how to stabilize my core?

JD Keip,
    I lock my abs as hard as I can. It’s my number one thought while pressing. If you can figure out where my disconnect is, you’d be the MVP. I’ll try to “slam myself forward” as best I can.

Satch12879,
    How do I fix it?

I'm not seeing any hip flexion, either. That's why I said it was good work on your part.

You used to flex your hips backward before you extended them forward. No es bueno.

I was glad to see you posted a form check up in the SSC Q&A forum. Speaking only for myself, an SSC is always the gold standard for any feedback on your technique, compared to a guy like me.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Are you also referring to the lordotic curve of my back at the top of my press?
    No. I just pointed out that I think you should finish your lift. As others have also noted, you are not shrugging at the top. If I remember correctly, it was also pointed out in the SSC section (for the amateurs down here, it's encouraging when our feedback is corroborated by an SSC).

IPB

Let's fix the backward bar thing, because when you get the bar behind mid foot, it's hard to start the press.

Mild intervention: just standing there with the bar, heft it up and down about an inch. Get a feel for the slot, and pay attention to how the weight feels in your feet. Heft, heft, heft, hips-then-up.

Serious intervention: if video tells you the bar is still going backwards, use the vertical part of the j-hooks to constrain the bar. Approach the bar from the back (the hooks are pointing away from you), get mid foot under the bar, grip, rotate (this will be noticeably more difficult than usual), stand up, don't move your feet. Checklist: elbows, wrists, bar against j-hook. You're going to just launch the bar, not press it all the way up. Slow motion first: hips forward(notice the bar moves down your chest: that's ok)... and hips back (or chest forward, whatever cue works for you). Full speed now, hip twitch. Experience the joy of the bar floating up, probably about chin height. Do a few of these until you're not scraping liner off the hooks. Might need to move your hooks up a bit so you're not removing paint from the rack. This approach is a one time fix of course, written by some guy on the internet, so consider that.

starting strength coach development program
    Charlocity2,
    That’s my mistake. I misread your post.

IlPrincipeBrutto,
    Ya I understand what y’all meant now. Thank you.

JD Keip,
    Thank you for the very detailed response. I’m going to start with fixing my bar position at the top and finishing with a shrug. At the very least, I’ll be able to properly strict press. Once I get those two things corrected, I’ll change my focus back to the hips.

You must be an inspiring coach?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast