starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Looking for some feedback on my low bar form. Please forgive the side view I'm not able to film from the rear quarter at the moment.

Here is the link

YouTube

Turn around so you are not looking at the mirror you are stealing glances of yourself in. Keep your gaze on the floor.

Your hips are breaking before your knees. They need to unlock at the same time. Your knees are sliding at the bottom, meaning they are moving through the rep, particularly toward the bottom where you are humping your crotch forward and opening your back angle to get depth. Shove your knees out over your toes and set them early, a little bit further forward than they are now, and leave them there. This will require you to stay leaned over, which keeping your gaze on the floor will help.

Hit depth and then drive your hips up out of the bottom; don't pause and don't just stand up.

You're almost there; a little more work and you'll have it.

Hi Satch thanks for your feedback, I will try to implement what you've mentioned when I'm next in the gym tomorrow. One thing I've actually been struggling with as you noticed is getting to depth without my back rounding, I'm trying to push my knees out as much as I can but can't quite seem to keep my lower back in extension at the bottom. Do you think my looking up and thus opening my back angle is the reason why?

Another reason you are seeing the butt wink at the bottom is it looks like you are actually starting out a little over extended in the lumbar. When you unrack the bar, brace your core and engage your glutes. This will pull your hips under the bar. The way you are in this video, your hips are behind the bar when standing up. Again, I think your problem is you are over extended in your lumbar at the top. Keep it neutral the whole time. You do this by squeezing your abs and glutes.

Hi Dogluvr, funny I was actually just reading an article suggesting that to be one of the more common causes of it and am definitely guilty of it, mainly I think from confusing the meaning of leaning over to set the hips back and to try and get the back angle correct when standing. I tried to incorporate what you guys said in my workout today but I think there is still a ways to go. One thing I felt as though I had the bar a little too low and it felt a little unstable. Maybe I'm not keeping tight enough. I have ordered a belt now though so hopefully that will help. I will post a follow up video.

Here is the link
    YouTube

That looked like an improvement. Did it feel better?

Hi Asinc. Experiment with your foot angle. Everyones hip sockets are a little different. There is an outside chance it may help with your lower back rounding at depth. A little rounding may be unavoidable but since your starting at the top in a bit of over extension your moving your lower back joints through even more range than necessary. Lock your ribs to your pelvis by flexing your abs. Take a solid breath without moving from that position. Then squat. Cheers and good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    It definitely felt different and has made me understand the importance of bracing correctly. I will bare that in mind Markus, I'm going to be meeting with a coach a little later today so hoping having someone there to correct me in person combined with my new belt will iron out the problems I'm having. Thanks for your advice guys and good luck.