starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What causes lower back rounding in the Deadlift?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Busteddog View Post
    Yes 7 sets of 3 but I can pull lighter weights with a neutral back but not this weight and above with a neutral back
    What did the coach who has you on 7 sets of 3 say about this form problem?

And, do you happen to be bouncing your deadlifts off the floor instead of resetting each rep?

I don't have a coach. I reset every rep before pulling and don't simply bounce them off the floor. Im not sure about the form problem because I pull 160kg with the exact same form I pull 120kg (which can be done with a neutral back) but the lower back rounds in 160kg.

Start with doing the program correctly. There are reasons why it was written the way it was, especially for novices. There is a weight you can pull for one set of 5 with a flat back. Start there, and then go up.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    I have similar issues as the OP when the weights get heavier, however I do know how to control my lower back, following Rip's cues. How else would you prevent your lower back from rounding if weakness isn't the issue? I have no problem when squats get heavy, but it's only conventional deadlifts that's screwing me up.
    Look at the video. The OP does not set his low back before the pull on any rep. It’s not a weakness issue; it’s a technique issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Look at the video. The OP does not set his low back before the pull on any rep. It’s not a weakness issue; it’s a technique issue.
    Can you clarify “setting his low back”? From the video it appears OP is actively setting his entire back readying to pull.

If you can lift correctly at a lower weight then that means you are too weak to do it correctly at a higher weight. Lower the weight and only count the reps where you maintain your lower back positioning before increasing the weight.

You could also try heavy RDLs and only lower the bar as far as you can while maintaining a neutral lumbar spine. This will help correct the issue and let you lift heavy weights with proper form until you develop the strength to support the spine correctly.

Alright I'll try doing that. Thanks for the feedback!

I went back and worked on my hamstrings and glutes. Here are the most recent training footage of my deadlifting 140kg today for 3 sets.

Set 1 : YouTube

Set 2 : YouTube

Set 3 : YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Alright thanks Rip I'll keep that in mind and only count reps that are executed with a flat back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast