starting strength gym

Thread: David's Q's for coaches

Default David's Q's for coaches

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Figured one multi purpose thread for all questions for coaches would be good...Seems efficient.

37 y.o.
    6'1''
    215lb currently
    Press max 190
    Bench max 345
    Squat max 355
    Deadlift max 475

I'm really working on getting in "the club". My sticker came in the mail today 👍 motivation...

Here is a set of 315x3. It was all I could muster this day because I hadn't squatted this much in almost two months. I've been dealing with an annoying pain in my right hip flexor that is aggravated and I assume caused by my squatting. I squatted high bar for a couple years no problem and have done the "Starting Strength" squat for about 6 months maybe. I'm on week fifteen of a slightly altered Texas method which has been great! I've seen gains in every lift. But maybe the volume and a form issue has caused this hip reaction? Who knows, I'll get through it, I've had worse. I'll show you the 315 set and a warm up at 225. How's my form? Does my depth need adjusting?

YouTube
    YouTube

Thanks!

Hey David

You could widen up the stance a bit to start.
    You're knees never really get set at the bottom and continuously travel forward until you start coming back up. They should be set in place about 1/2-1/3 of the way down and stay in place as the hips travel below parallel.
    I think getting them set in place, widening up the stance and driving them outward throughout the rep may help clean up whatever is causing the anterior hip pain.
    Good luck!

Gotcha. I actually tried a slightly wider stance today. I do really need to get a grip on keeping my knees set in place. I really just started recording myself in the last month or so. Should have been doing that a long time ago ago.

Thanks brother! I'll get right on it.