starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check 7/24/18

Default Deadlift Form Check 7/24/18

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I feel like my back is rounding on the way up. Its hard for me to tell. My back angle is more horizontal then most peoples I believe due to my anthropology. This is my work set for the dead lift @ 185.

Link: YouTube

Hey Giancarlo
    It's tough to tell for sure from this angle, but it looks like you're set up too close to the bar. Back up half an inch from the bar. This will get the hips in the right place, so you can set the back properly. You're not really getting the back very tight to start. Get the chest up hard while you're holding on to the bar and pull all of the slack out of your arms and the bar. Then, when you've done that, break the bar off the ground by pushing it away with your feet and extending the knees. Right now you're yanking it off the ground by lifting the chest to open the back angle, and your quads aren't helping at all.
    Setting up further from the bar should help to start.
    Good luck!

Thanks for your response Pete. Your spot on about the jerking it off the floor Im not sure why I had it pictured in my head to do it like that. I will go back half an inch and see what happens. I think I had tried that a few weeks ago and my hips didn't seem as high as well. I will record at a better angle next dead lift. Hopefully I can follow up with you again. Thanks again.

Pete,

Here is my deadlift from 8/8 using your corrections. Let me know what you think.

YouTube

Hey Giancarlo
    Must've missed your follow up post.
    These look better. You're still hair close to the bar.
    The back looks better, but you can still squeeze up harder. Harder than you want to. It will be briefly uncomfortable.
    Leave your toes where they are and get the heels a little closer together.
    You're on the right track. Keep practicing.