starting strength gym

Thread: Is this a full depth squat?

Default Is this a full depth squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just wanted to double check.

Yes. The top crease of the hip is below the top of the knee.

I suspected it was deep enough. I recently had a form correction done with Andy Baker. I ended up putting the bar lower on my back and bending over more. This is as far as I can squat without curving my back.

Just curious. I shouldn’t attempt to go deeper than this on the low bar back squat? I’m not sure if it’s the mechanics of the low bar squat or I’m just not flexible enough to go deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    Just curious. I shouldn’t attempt to go deeper than this on the low bar back squat?
    Why would you want to go deeper? You can almost certainly go deeper if you relax some things and thereby decrease the contribution of large slabs of muscle mass to the upward movement, but the model requires you not to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Why would you want to go deeper? You can almost certainly go deeper if you relax some things and thereby decrease the contribution of large slabs of muscle mass to the upward movement, but the model requires you not to do that.
    Understood. Since going deeper would require relaxing muscles, is it correct to assume it would also increase chance of injury?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    Understood. Since going deeper would require relaxing muscles, is it correct to assume it would also increase chance of injury?
    I'm going to choose to equivocate here and say "probably." But it's very safe to assume it will decrease the amount of weight you can put on the bar.