starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

Coach,

I think I could do a better job locking the bar out more forcefully. Should I be shoving the bar back just slightly more?

What about my torso? I’ve seen a lot of SS videos where the presser has a slight arch in his back. It never seems to get any attention. I think mine is excessive. No matter how hard I contract my abs, I can’t seem to keep from getting that arch.

The bar is indeed ending up slightly forward of the glenohumeral joint and your shrug is non-existent. Have you read the chapter in the book about the press? The big, hard shrug at the top is critical to the ongoing well-being of your shoulders, so finish the shrug as if every millimeter of bar height earns you $1,000.

As far as your back question, what's your concern exactly? I'm sure you are aware that people vary in their anatomy in regards to the shape of the lordotic curve of the spine. Are you presently experiencing any symptoms of injury?

Thanks, Adam.

I have read the book cover to cover. I am fully aware of the importance of the shrug. Why I have trouble implementing the shrug, I don’t know. I’ll be sure to be extra cognizant of it on Saturday.

As far as the back goes, I am not experiencing any symptoms of injury. I’m comparing the lordotic curve before I press the bar to once the bar is overhead.

I’ve had this issue. You have to over-emphasize the shrug on all the warm-up sets, so that it becomes ingrained in the movement pattern. If you don’t do it when the weight is light, you wo’t do it when the weight is heavy.

Got it. Thanks, Steve! I’ll be doing just that tonight.

starting strength coach development program
    Here’s an update: Nicholas R on Instagram: “Squat 195x5x3
    Press 95x5,4,4
    Power clean 110x3x5
    Chin-up +5x5x3”

I obviously should have taken a reset. Ensuring that I shrug at the top really fatigued me.