starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Top set - 152.5x5
    Link - Prime Photos

Using press 1.5 here - thanks for any and all advice!

The pressing starts at 0:15

Hi there,

IMHO, they are not bad at all.
    You give the impression of being able to tighten your legs a bit more, and your hips too; it might give you an even more stable base.
    There seems to be a visible break between the first part of the movement and the latter, during which break you move your head forward, especially the latter reps (understandable); maybe smoothing out this transition could conserve more momentum, although I am not sure how to cue this.
    Last but not least, be mindful of keeping your elbows in front as long as you can, rather than letting them flare out. Clearly, they have to flare out a bit at some point, but they might be doing that a bit too early.

Hope this helps.

IPB

Hi J:

Agree with the above, strong work. A few comments:
    1. Pick a spot on the wall to look at and keep your gaze there. You seem to be looking up then down.
    2. Hard squeeze on abs, butt and quads (make them cramp). You could be tighter especially as the set progresses.
    3. Good work on getting the bar moving back but don’t go further than your mid-foot.
    4. Biggest thing… Don’t rush back under the bar.

Best of luck,

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Peters; 07-26-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: missed a word in #3

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try to tighten it up, its just so uncomfortable, lol! I do have a tendency to shift to my heels, will try to work on that.
    There's a mirror in front of the rack (only rack in the gym) that makes it really hard to focus. That's why I'm doing weird things with my head, I'm trying to look high up above the mirror so I don't get distracted, not optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by jwicken View Post
    There's a mirror in front of the rack .
    You could try turning around.
    YMMV.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by jwicken View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try to tighten it up, its just so uncomfortable, lol! I do have a tendency to shift to my heels, will try to work on that.
    There's a mirror in front of the rack (only rack in the gym) that makes it really hard to focus. That's why I'm doing weird things with my head, I'm trying to look high up above the mirror so I don't get distracted, not optimal.
    You can look at yourself in the mirror as long as your focus is on one spot.

Getting and then staying tight in the press for reps is a big challenge. This is why the exercise is so beneficial the way it's taught in the method. The entirety of the body is engaged to help complete each rep.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Peters View Post
    [*]Biggest thing… Don’t rush back under the bar.
    This ^

Weirdly, I don't think I've ever seen this before.

It seems like you try to get your head under too soon,
    any maybe (I don't really know for sure) by over doing it, you loose out on raising the bar with your arms.

Like your energy, mechanics, or focus is being taken away from the lifting of the bar.

Otherwise, pretty good ... I'd agree with most of what the others have said.
    Maybe your wrists have a little too much flexion.