starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well I've read through the book and at the same time I've added more weight in the exercises.

Murklurker, thanks for your comments.

I did try to narrow my grip as you suggested but I did it too "brutally" so it hurt my shoulders (especially when I unrack the bar). As a result I'm going back doing the wide grip, the time for my shoulders to feel better (after a few days they already feel better). I also added shoulder dislocations as a warmup exercise.

You also commented about standing "human-like" lol, I'm not sure if you mean that my torso is slightly bent when I stand with the bar or if it's something else. But when I try to stand more upright, I feel the bar will go down and as a result I put my elbows almost parallel to the floor to prevent it. Not sure if it's bad form or just that I'm too skinny so I have to put the elbows very high to compensate.

Changed the shoes for some old Chuck Taylors.

Here is my last squat at 55kg. Looks like the hip drive is better when I add weight.
    Main view -> YouTube
    View of the knees -> YouTube

I have this issue with my knees, I feel they burn after the gym (no pain but burning sensation). Also they don't really hurt in day-to-day life but sometimes I can slightly feel a tinge of pain when I flex/extend the knees or jump. So I uploaded above a view of my knees when I squat, can you guys tell me if I should put the knees out more? On the video it looks like my feet put more weight inwards at the bottom, but I'm not experienced enough to tell if it's normal or if it's a sign that I have bad form. I am very scared for my knees.

Hey there!

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your groin.

Have you considered getting lifters? They are highly recommended.

Also- I think your stance looks better since Coach Soleyn suggested you narrow it. But I think there are 2 reasons that your knees "are burning" and that your groin could still be prone to get sore.

1) You are going too deep- about 6 inches too deep. Remember that we want the hip crease to be just below the top of the knee cap. In your last set posted you look to be about 6 inches deep of this...

And

2) You are holding your knees too far back. The knee should travel forward for most lifters- to at least the toe and though you have a long trunk, I don't think your femurs are short enough to warrant a knee position as far back in the sagittal plane as you are holding them here. When you go to begin the descent- try to get your knees to your toes and then sit back. This will put your knees in a better position to drive your hips out of the hole. This should also help your adductors be in proper position to assist in hip extension- and should make them a lot less sore.

Though it should be noted than many novice lifters get sore in adductors. So if you are not injured... and just sore- that could be within the normal realm of beginning training.

Hey coach,

I think you were spot on about my knees being too far back. I corrected this (and the squat depth), I don't get the burned anymore. I still get slight sores near the knees sometimes but I believe I just need to buy a foam roller and roll my legs. It's a different kind of soreness which feels more muscular, and it's not exactly at the knees. Doesn't bother me much actually.

Now I am more relaxed during the squat and less depressed about focusing on the knees or shoulders. It's becoming more a pleasure to squat.

Video from today :

Squat 65kg (side view) -> YouTube
    Squat 65kg (diagonal view) -> YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobby_beginner View Post
    Hey coach,

I think you were spot on about my knees being too far back. I corrected this (and the squat depth), I don't get the burned anymore. I still get slight sores near the knees sometimes but I believe I just need to buy a foam roller and roll my legs. It's a different kind of soreness which feels more muscular, and it's not exactly at the knees. Doesn't bother me much actually.

Now I am more relaxed during the squat and less depressed about focusing on the knees or shoulders. It's becoming more a pleasure to squat.

Video from today :

Squat 65kg (side view) -> YouTube
    Squat 65kg (diagonal view) -> YouTube
    You're "sore" because you're underweight

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Velazquez View Post
    You're "sore" because you're underweight
    Outside of the USA, 12-15% body fat is considered normal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_beginner View Post
    Outside of the USA, 12-15% body fat is considered normal.
    Sure. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12