starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP / Press form check

Default BP / Press form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone,

Care to check my BP and Press forms? I just began starting strength 10 days ago.

6 feet, 70kg.

-> BP 40kg. I try to keep the bar parallel, I often have problem with that when I forget to check.
    Front view : YouTube
    Diagonal view : YouTube

-> Press 20 kg. I'm new to this exercise. Especially I'm not sure about the grip width so I joined 2 versions of the grip width for the diagonal view.
    Rear view : YouTube
    Diagonal view : YouTube
    Diagonal view (wider grip) : YouTube

Thanks a lot

Bench: Keep your eyes fixated at 1 point on the ceiling for the entire set, and memorize where the bar is in relation to the point when you're holding it at the top. When your pushing up, focus on that point. Right now you're looking around randomly which will eventually mess with the bar path.

Press: You're going to have to start pressing out of the squat rack. Picking it up off the ground and reverse curling it up won't be possible when it gets heavy. Also check out the barbell logic youtube channel, and watch the press video. Reading the book is ideal, but the video will get you started.

Feet wider apart on Press. Use rack and Eat.

Ok thanks for the tips, here is a new record of me today doing the press. Is that better?

Press 20kg -> YouTube

I forgot to record the BP, will do it next time.

Did you watch the Barbell Logic YouTube video on Press, as Brian suggested? A good homework assignment would be watching it then reporting back on what you yourself need to work on.

Having said all that: elbows should be slightly forward of the bar.

Agreed with the above comments. Particularly, squeezing your elbows in front of the bar. This should be a squeezing together and forward, like you are trying to hold something in your arm pits. Also, you are skinny enough that you are actually over extending your back a little bit, both here and in your squat videos. Squeezing your abs very very hard will help counter that tendancy. Finally, on the hip movement, pretend there is a fire behind your butt and you will burn yourself if your butt moves backward. Hips only go forward once you bring the bar down between reps.

The BBL video is great and will give you some additional cues to make these things happen.

Thanks a lot for all your useful comments. So yesterday I read the SS section about the Press + I rechecked the video of the Press on Barbell Logic, it helped me a lot to understand better the movement.

After checking my new OHP video, I realize that maybe the bar is not enough behind the neck at the top. Also I'm not sure why I feel some kind of blank pain at the coxys / lower back area (not really "pain" but I "feel" something). Not sure if I should worry about that, doesn't really bother me but it might be a sign that my lower back is not in the proper position.

OHP 20kg -> YouTube

Added some weight for the BP, now I fix my eyes to a point on the roof.

BP 60 kg -> YouTube

Press lookin' good from here! Read the chapter in the book about programming, because sets of 5 reps are the staple. No real reason to do worksets of 10 reps.

As you eat in a way to recover and gain muscular body weight (also a critical chapter for you to read, in the book), you might be surprised how aches and pains fade as the weight on the scale goes up.

Start adding weight to the Press. No reason to go 3 training sessions without adding weight. You aren't getting stronger lifting the same weight .

starting strength coach development program
    I would prefer that you guys not waste your time dealing with a person that has not read the books. If you enjoy it, I suppose it's a free country, but it encourages them to take advantage of your generosity without any investment of their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast