starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First ever power cleans- form check please?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey buddy, thanks again for your reply

I've scoured through several other form checks and i think i can see what you are getting at with my cleans. Would it be fair to say that i am kind of "pelvic thrusting" the bar up onto my shoulders in a loop, rather than relying on the upward explosion of the jump to send the bar straight skyward?

As for the racking position, i might try and get some front on, or angle videos as I still cant catch what i am/am not doing regarding this. I think perhaps this is a flexibilty issue? Ill work on doing some more front squats to get comfortable

Once again, thanks for your help... im sure ill get it eventually

Hi,

The biggest issue is that you are still bringing the bar up using your arms.
    Here's a little idea:

Grab the bar and stand up with it.
    Now lower it to the 'explosion' position on your thighs.
    Lock your triceps, hard.
    And now jump straight up. Keep those triceps locked.

Do this a few times in a row. Never unlock your triceps.

This is what you are supposed to do in a clean (or a snatch); you are accelerating the bar by extending/jumping up, using your arms to link the rest of your body to the bar.
    Get used to this sensation. Teach yourself how it feels to use your arms like this.

What will come next it's the really tricky bit; one microsecond after you have finished extending upwards, you unlock the elbows, bend those arms as fast as you can and pull yourself down, under the bar. So it's locked, locked, locked...UNLOCK! and pull yourself under.

But that's for later. Right now, you need to get rid of that arm-pull.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Hey folks, back with another attempt which hopefully is now on the right track. Found a friend to help me out heres a clip of my latest attempts, i can see there's still a bit of arm pull, but i think this more reasembles a power clean than my last 3 vids

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Hello Colt 19!

All of these clean work sets you posted look slightly different from each other- so I can see you are trying hard to tweak things each time. You are working hard at it for sure! Are you near an SSC?

Have you ever put yourself through the Power Clean teaching progression? It is actually super helpful to do so- even if you think you already sort of have the power clean. The teaching progression outlined in Starting Strength- when followed can eliminate many errors in the clean.

You can also watch Rip teach Bret McKay the progression here- it is worth your time to go through the steps. You can remove your arm bend- improve your position over the bar and learn how to get a consistent jump...
    YouTube

Also- remember to narrow your stance. The stance should be the same as the deadlift with your heels 6-10 inches apart.

I love the clean. Good luck on learning the movement!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12