starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys.
    Newbee here.
    I have read the book and looked at videos.
    Just started on the low bar squat.
    1st question, is the bar placement correct?
    Which are the biggest mistakes I need to focus on?
    Thanks!

YouTube

Looks great for a first try!

First, a couple video placement things, Ideally the camera would be hip height, and if you record with camera sideways it helps with people's OCD ( including mine)

For your set-up, the bar appears to be where it should be ( below spine of scapula)
    I'd nudge your stance a bit narrower, and get your toes a little bit more forward. If you look at your left toe, it appears to be at 45 degrees instead of 30 degrees. Maybe you have a reason for this, I'm not sure.

For the squat itself, I'd focus on these things:

1. Initiate the squat by unlocking the knees and hips simultaneously. If you watch these, you begin by unlocking hips and the knees haven't moved yet. Proper squat is a synchronized descent.

2. Hit depth then get outta the hole. You look like you're feeling your way into the hole and then turning it around quite slowly. As you're descending think, " up up up" and then once you hit depth, hip drive outta there!

3. I'd get your knees shoved out a bit harder. Your depth seems fine, but your lower back isn't as tight as it could be. By shoving your knees out at the bottom you get your "Active Hip" ( google this article if you haven't read it) Active hip helps keep everything rock solid, so I'd start working on it now. If you minimize your time feeling around for depth ( #2) it should help with this low back control too.

Get strong

Thanks a lot for great feedback. I will work on your advices for a few workouts and post an updated video (sideways) 😀