starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Still working on my press. This set of presses looks different from the rest. What do y’all think? I could do a better job at pushing the barbell back at the start. Do I have it too far back at the finish?

YouTube

The recording was interrupted otherwise I would have included the entire set including the missed rep.

Hi Nicholas!

I think you do a great job keeping the bar close at the start of the rep. Nothing to really fix there. It is most definitely locking out behind your shoulders at the top though. Try to visualize throwing the bar up directly over your shoulder and covering your ears with your biceps at the top. You'll waste a lot less energy and the lockout should feel easier.

Next time, can you post a video from a front 45 degree angle? This will let us see other important things like your grip.

Previous press workout with the requested angle: YouTube

I have a history of being told that the bar is too forward and that my shrug is non-existent. Extremely frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Still working on my press. This set of presses looks different from the rest. What do y’all think? I could do a better job at pushing the barbell back at the start. Do I have it too far back at the finish?

YouTube

The recording was interrupted otherwise I would have included the entire set including the missed rep.
    Nice job getting your torso through at the top. Like Caleb said, an inch or two forward now at the top. Also when at max extension, count "reach! one-one-thousand," where you should feel the balance over shoulder and midfoot and all will be good.

Alright today’s presses: YouTube

I used the requested angle this time do you probably can’t tell if the bar is over the glenohumeral joint. How’s the shrug? I definitely need to bare down on my abs harder.

Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rega View Post
    Alright today’s presses: YouTube

I used the requested angle this time do you probably can’t tell if the bar is over the glenohumeral joint. How’s the shrug? I definitely need to bare down on my abs harder.

Any other thoughts?
    Mushy lockout on rep 2 and maybe rep 4. Wrists overextending a bit as you drive up, so grip the bar tightly (fingerprints into the bar) and/or tighten wrist wraps in order to maintain only slight extension.

As far as I'm concerned, these things should not prevent you from adding weight to the bar next time. At some point in the near future, you may be taking 2.5# jumps though.

Most importantly, keep "exaggerating" the shrug at the top, driving the bar through the ceiling for what seems like a very long time.

Thanks for the reply. I pressed 110x5x3 today using your feedback, but I forgot to set up my camera. Thanks again JD!

starting strength coach development program
    IMO, I don't think you are getting much out of the hip-pop-bounce.
    It seems like the timing and thinking about execution of the thing is throwing you off.....
    maybe a lack of confidence thing with the 2.0 technique.

I'd just press 1.0. For now.
    You would probably use more weight just because you could do reps non-stop
    and get the normal bounce/stretch-reflex out from the previous reps (like a std. bench or squat set).

YouTube