starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please!

Default Squat form check please!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys looking for any pointers on my squat form. My Progress has stalled as of late...been doing triples at 315 after i reset. Much appreciated!

YouTube

Also do you think I'm bending over enough? Thanks

There's nothing so glaring to my untrained eye that I feel super confident commenting on it, except I do some knee slide at the bottom. Could be a little more bending over and a little more sitting back is advisable.

Let me first say that these are pretty good. You own 315 all day! What I think I would change with my mediocre eyes...Your stance is a little too wide; maybe 2-3 inches. (Look at your shins/socks when you're at the bottom). So you're technically bent over the correct amount here since the bar appears to be moving over mid foot. But I think if you moved your stance in a little, that would require a tiny bit more reaching back with your butt and a slightly more horizontal back angle. In return, you would get a better stretch reflex from your posterior chain. Secondly, you're moving a little too fast/ snapping into position which will create some instability when you get to the heavier weights; be tight and controlled on the decent and fast and angry on the ascent.

Note the lack of change in the back angle at the beginning of the descent. That should trigger a couple of observations. And why are you doing triples?

First off thanks everyone for the response! Mark , I was doing triples because I failed at 4 reps (felt like form breaking down). I try adding a rep each session. I was able to get 3 sets of 5 @310 (After a couple of resets). As far as the back angle it looks like I am too vertical? And this is killing my hip drive? Thanks again !

Back angle observations are correct. And the fact that you failed indicates that the weight is too heavy, not that there are too many reps. Just do the program, i.e. do the 5s with the correct weight.

Thanks for your help Mark really appreciate your time! In order to get more bent over I should think hips back more ? Or maybe look at the floor a little closer to me, 3 feet instead of 5? Thanks !.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985 View Post
    First off thanks everyone for the response! Mark , I was doing triples because I failed at 4 reps (felt like form breaking down). I try adding a rep each session. I was able to get 3 sets of 5 @310 (After a couple of resets). As far as the back angle it looks like I am too vertical? And this is killing my hip drive? Thanks again !
    When you fail at 3s, you'll go to 2s? And then singles? What happens when you fail at singles? And you've heard our cue about pointing your nipples at the floor immediately as you begin the descent.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes I have heard that cue. I'll work on my form and lighten the weight a bit. Thanks again. You guys ever do seminars in Canada Eh?