starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Today I deadlifted 325lbs for 5 reps. I haven't videotaped my deads for the last couple weeks, but today I decided to do so. I apologize for the quality of the video beforehand, but I didn't plan on uploading it before I reviewed it myself.

YouTube

I am mostly concerned about the last 2 reps. I don't know if those count as proper form.

I'd like to hear your insight.

Your back definitely rounded but I didn’t see any ramping or hitching and you locked out and didn't drop them so I think they’d count in a meet. But do you see how the bar rolls forward as you’re starting your lift? It looks you’ve got the bar a little close to your shins so you’re pushing it away with them as you get into position. Make sure the bar is over mid foot when you set up and that should clean that issue up.

Thanks for your input Jake.

Could you clarify a few things for me though? Did all reps look ugly? Do you think my back rounding was considered dangerous? I'm not sure if it was lower back, because to me it seemed more like "mid back", but I really don't know. I will definitely pay more attention to my shins, too. And all in all, do you think the form breakdowns were mainly due to my setup or maybe I should work on some weakness?

Setup.

You’re combining steps, i.e., bringing shins to the bar while at the same time squeezing up your chest/setting your back. You are doing this aggressively, too. This is what’s causing you to move the bar forward of mid-foot.

Discretize the movements: shins to the bar, squeeze, don’t jerk, the back in place.

What Satch said. The bar is rolling a little more each rep which is causing your back to round more to compensate. Focus on the steps he outlined and the back will be fine.