starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check (hip pain )

Default Squat form check (hip pain )

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey folks, I've been working at my form lately. Been trying to bend over more. Now I'm experiencing some hip pain/tightness at the front of my hips??. I've read numerous posts on this issue on the forum. I've been playing around with stance width and toe angle to see if this alleviates some of the pain (with no sucess). My guess is this is form related. I'm probably missing something? Maybe I'm not shoving my knees out enough. Even at bodyweight squat I cant find a good stance width/toe angle without pain. Here are a couple angles (front angle is shitty sorry). Thanks for the help!

YouTube

YouTube

Looks wide to me.
    A bit tough to say but I'd narrow it by at least 2 inches and see what that looks like.

How long did you try a narrower stance? When I was standing too wide it definitely took a couple weeks for the front hip soreness to subside.

Oddly enough I started having this issue when I narrowed my stance 2 weeks ago?. I'll try going a bit more narrow see if that helps. Thanks

Hey Ryan!

Besides the stance width which was already addressed, these squats are a little too deep. Stay tighter as you approach the hole and shave 2 inches off the bottom of these. I bet that'll help your hip feel better.

Thanks a bunch. I'll give it a few days to rest and try that. Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    These squats are not too deep, they're perfect height. However, I agree about the stance width.