starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: press video

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If you have a good coutch local it might be worth the price. Your actually doing this for your health.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris76 View Post
    How long have you been pressing? Have you talked to a doctor about your shoulder pain ? Did your shoulders hurt at all before you started pressing? I think you and only you would have an ider if something may have been nagging your shoulders before you started pressing or not. How does it feel when you just lift your arms overhead with nothing in your hands?
    Been pressing about 5 months. See ortho doctor in a few weeks to determine it's not a tear, which I had fixed almost 20 years ago. No pain for first several months of pressing -- it started when I was doing curls (no curls since Aug 17).

I notice discomfort when I do presses as follows: no pain going up, nor in the shrug. But coming down I feel a little twinge on the outside of the deltoid. So I have a question - while the shrug raises your scapula so there's no impingement (and the shrug feels good), isn't there a chance of impingement on the way down?

Anyway, that's the status. Looking back, maybe I was too greedy on the press weights?

[QUOTE=Chris76;1705234]you mentioned pain. Was it before you had ever pressed? Happened while you were pressing? How does it feel to just put your arms overhead like your pressing empty handed? How about if you practice pressing like in the video with a broomstick? I don’t know if we are on the same page but you mentioned pain so I don’t know if I think you said 70 lbs , maybe you were just straining or if you have a injury. I think you can answer that.[/QUOT

No pain doing press or any other exercise since long ago when I had rotator tear (1999). No pain for first several months of pressing. Happened on curl (see earlier reply).

Empty handed press feels ok, except that the shoulder doesn't like overheads so much right now -- but pain is definitely lessening. Did work up to 65 lb on press on Aug 17; then did curls, and that is when I felt pain in left shoulder. Been going slow since then. Following Rip's advice, went back to empty bar and worked up from there. Currently at 105 lb on squat, 50 lb on press, and 185 lb on deadlift. (No bench since Aug 17 either, since I'm trying to rehab shoulder with normal press.)

...also no curls.

If there’s a weight that you can press correctly without any pain during or after your workout I would say start there and progress slowly. The overhead press is a natural movement pattern up and down. It’s so hard for me to say from here if you just picked up a strain that will dissipate or if you have an injury. Again SS trainer session may be worth it.

Red face press video

Quote Originally Posted by Chris76 View Post
    If there’s a weight that you can press correctly without any pain during or after your workout I would say start there and progress slowly. The overhead press is a natural movement pattern up and down. It’s so hard for me to say from here if you just picked up a strain that will dissipate or if you have an injury. Again SS trainer session may be worth it.
    Thanks for all the advice, Chris, JD, Fulcrum, Archidel.

Feels like the problem might have been the elbows not being in front enough. When I press with them forward (no load, I'm at home), it's entirely different feel with no discomfort. We'll see. Will also be conservative about load.

Also will deal with that index finger! What!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by muellerd View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, Chris, JD, Fulcrum, Archidel.

Feels like the problem might have been the elbows not being in front enough. When I press with them forward (no load, I'm at home), it's entirely different feel with no discomfort. We'll see. Will also be conservative about load.

Also will deal with that index finger! What!
    Glad to hear the elbows forward seems to help. The first thing I was going to say when you said elbow pain on the way down, was ask how you are lowering the bar. You also want to lead with the elbows coming forward on the way down as well. Lower the bar the exact opposite way it comes up. My guess is you may have either been flaring your elbows out or simply dropping on the way down, either of which could cause some shoulder discomfort. Hope things get better!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12