starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: press video

Default press video

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Am I doing this right? Skinny guy with empty bar...hey I was up to 70 lb before some cuff pain.

Thanks

Shared album - David Mueller - Google Photos

Personally I like a strict press. Squeeze your gluts and press the bar overhead. Straight vertical bar path and move your body around the bar just enough so you don’t hit yourself in the face. If you have pain stop. I would say start with a 10 lb barbell and work your way up slowly. Maybe a 10lb bar is too light but they make em if ya need em.

Quote Originally Posted by muellerd View Post
    Am I doing this right? Skinny guy with empty bar...hey I was up to 70 lb before some cuff pain.

Thanks

Shared album - David Mueller - Google Photos
    Please watch the YouTube Barbell Logic video on the press... note first how they approach the bar and simply walk 1 or 2 steps backwards out of the rack, not... out where you're at.

Your left wrist is very extended, should be extended only slightly. Elbows need to be in front of the bar. Right index finger grip problem?

Lockout is a couple inches too far back, and you need to shrug more deliberately at the top. These faults may (or may not) contribute to shoulder pain.

You could warm up with a lighter 35# bar, but I can't tell if you should deload as such; you posted a video of 45# not 70#.

I agree with everything JD pointed out. I would also attempt to get your elbows a little more forward at the bottom. They should be slightly in front of the bar when viewed from the side. This helps you press straight up and not out in front of you.

You are not doing the hip bounce correctly. It is difficult to teach this on the forum. If you want to press the way advocated in the book it would be helpful to get a starting strength coach to help you in person or review the instructional videos on how to do it. Otherwise, it would probably be easier to do a strict press instead. Either way, you are not getting tight enough at the start. You need to take a big held breath and squeeze everything tight from your abs to your glutes to your quads for each rep. Hope this helps.

I would stick with 45# for now.
    That seems like a good load.
    Can't imagine 70# would look better.

If you are going to strict press (1.0),
    maybe just come down and up instead of pausing in the bottom.
    2.0 seems hard to learn for some people.
    1.0 is just fine.

Default Press video

Quote Originally Posted by Chris76 View Post
    Personally I like a strict press. Squeeze your gluts and press the bar overhead. Straight vertical bar path and move your body around the bar just enough so you don’t hit yourself in the face. If you have pain stop. I would say start with a 10 lb barbell and work your way up slowly. Maybe a 10lb bar is too light but they make em if ya need em.
    There has been some pain, but is lessening. I thought Rippetoe's book said the press was good for rehabbing cuff problems

There has been some pain, but is lessening. I thought Rippetoe's book said the press was good for rehabbing cuff problems

How long have you been pressing? Have you talked to a doctor about your shoulder pain ? Did your shoulders hurt at all before you started pressing? I think you and only you would have an ider if something may have been nagging your shoulders before you started pressing or not. How does it feel when you just lift your arms overhead with nothing in your hands?

Being out from the rack using empty bar was because rack was busy at the time of the video. Normally face rack, take bar off, etc.

Thanks for the tips on wrist, elbows, and index finger. I'll find the Logic video

(I'd sign up for your local visit in Puyallup, but it's a little pricey for me. Did buy the two books by Rip & Sully.)

starting strength coach development program
    you mentioned pain. Was it before you had ever pressed? Happened while you were pressing? How does it feel to just put your arms overhead like your pressing empty handed? How about if you practice pressing like in the video with a broomstick? I don’t know if we are on the same page but you mentioned pain so I don’t know if I think you said 70 lbs , maybe you were just straining or if you have a injury. I think you can answer that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast