starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Depth Help

Default Squat Depth Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble hitting depth (and keeping knees from travelling) when the load gets heavy (for me). Warming up, I think the cue, "sit back" ...and then when I am at the bottom, I think, "HIP DRIVE!" picturing someone's hands pressing on my low back and pushing up into that. I filmed my working sets and form seems not too bad (?), but then when I load the bar with my working weight, all that goes out the window--even though I go through the same cues, and the same motions, those cues don't seem as effective.

Thoughts on different cues, or mental prep, or anything else that might help?

Here's my 3rd working set (215 lbs): YouTube

and just for reference, here's a warmup (185 lbs): YouTube

Thanks in advance!

I meant to write, "my WARM-UP sets, form seems not too bad." (I wish there were a way to edit my posts...)

I would do the TUBOW drills to fix the knee issues. As far as the depth and general breakdown issues once you get to working weights. Don't visualize or think about the actual weight on the bar. Think about what you have to do.

On your heavy set you are shifting your weight forward on your toes as you descend. If you focus on feeling balanced in your mid-foot and sitting back like you do on the lighter weight I believe your knee slide and depth will improve. I agree with Brian TUBOW drill may help the knees because you really don't want to see any forward knee travel after you've descended about halfway. Post an update video after implementing!

Thank you for the replies and suggestions! I have a terribly useful block of scrap around here somewhere... I just have to find it.

Will post again after a bit of practice.