starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all,

I've just begun the starting strength program and really want to make sure that my form is correct,
    and see where I can improve. My current workset weight for squats as shown in the video is 55kg and is
    increasing relatively quickly as it is only the first stage of the program.

Side View:

Front Left View:

Rear Right View:

Hi Lachy!

Welcome to the forum!

Let's start off by narrowing your stance ~2-4" at the heels. Doing this will make it easier to fix your knee position. Do you see how your knees are riding a few inches inside of your toes? We want your knee and toes to be in perfect alignment. Start with the squat stretch as shown in the video below. Notice the position of Alexis's knees here.

Hey bud. Thanks for all the camera angles.

Notes:

Shove your knees out more. You want to get them out so that they are parallel with the direction your feet are facing. Your stance looks good, just get those knees out.

You are leaning over too much on the way up, which is bringing the bar forward of your mid-foot balance and will be a problem with heavier weights. Your body dimensions make it so that you will have a slightly more upright back angle than other people and that is correct for you. Imagine moving the bar in an imaginary slot directly over the middle of the foot the whole way down and up.

Your back is a bit rounded and relaxed. When unracking the bar, thing about tilting your chest up to the sky at the same time that you are getting your elbows up to get more upper back extension. Your lower back position should improve if you get your knees out.

Feel free to post an update video.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    Hi Lachy!

Welcome to the forum!

Let's start off by narrowing your stance ~2-4" at the heels. Doing this will make it easier to fix your knee position. Do you see how your knees are riding a few inches inside of your toes? We want your knee and toes to be in perfect alignment. Start with the squat stretch as shown in the video below. Notice the position of Alexis's knees here.
    Caleb how do you know this stance is too wide and that he doesn't just need to shove his knees out more? It looked like a pretty standard width to me. Appreciate the feedback, I'm trying to become an SSC. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Archidel View Post
    Caleb how do you know this stance is too wide and that he doesn't just need to shove his knees out more? It looked like a pretty standard width to me. Appreciate the feedback, I'm trying to become an SSC. Thanks.
    Sure thing! The general rule of thumb is shoulder width, right? Look at our dudes shoulders, then look where his heels are. If you drew lines straight down from his armpits, I don't think they'd intersect the center of his heels. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but if I see someone like this who has horrible knee position, I'm not going to error on the wide side.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    Sure thing! The general rule of thumb is shoulder width, right? Look at our dudes shoulders, then look where his heels are. If you drew lines straight down from his armpits, I don't think they'd intersect the center of his heels. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but if I see someone like this who has horrible knee position, I'm not going to error on the wide side.
    Thanks!!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback Caleb and Archidel, it really helps me understand the what I'm doing wrong.
    Will definitely post an update video sometime.