starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check 107.5kg

Default Squat form check 107.5kg

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Any advice on squat form here guys. I used to have an issue with being too vertical and coming forward onto my toes and also had some pretty bad low back pain. I have since been telling myself to get on my heels more aswell as bend over and this seems to spread the weight over mid-foot abit better while trying to get my nipples at the floor. A major problem i see is my stance being wide and knees caving in, but, when i go narrow i feel like the weight is on the outside of my feet. Do i just carry on and get weight on the bar and let form correct itself as i get stronger. Form at 107.5kg will be better when i can handle 140kg etc.

3rd set 107.5kg
    YouTube

Appreciate any help/advice guys - thanks.

You are correct in that the stance is about 3-4 inches too wide, and you're breaking at the hips a split second before the knees. You can often correct the weight on the outside of the feet by "screwing your feet into the ground" during the descent, but keep in mind that what feels right vs. wrong doesn't always correlate with what is right and wrong; it's a frustrating truth, but these look better than last time. Keep going!

Thanks Brian. Thats good go hear that i am somewhat on the right path. I'll work on closing that stance a few inches. With the low back and Rip's "put your dick between your knees" cue. Am i right in thinking that as i am standing with the weight and braced hard, is it then that this cue takes place before the decent. In the past i dont think ive been doing anything with my low back and therefore ending up in flexion.

Yes - set your lower back before your descent, break at the hips and knees at the same time to set your back angle early.

It might be helpful to think not of extending your low back in the squat, but of using your bracing to lock it into a neutral position. In the deadlift you are indeed dropping your dick between your knees to arch your back from a flexed position to a neutral one. But if you unrack the bar correctly with chest and elbows up, your low back should already be in a good position. Your only job then is to brace hard to keep it from flexing on the descent. It might help you to think about it this way.