starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check - upper back that just doesn't "straighten"

Default Deadlift form check - upper back that just doesn't "straighten"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    40yo, no training history, 7th week into SS, 6'4", 275lb bw, 240lb deadlift

Does everything look ok? It felt fine, but looking at the vid it looks like I could try to get my chest a bit more "up" on reps 4 and 5.
    And no, my upper back doesn't get any "straighter" than this. (feel free to let me know if you know of some specific mobility work I should be doing to address this?)

YouTube

You have asked a question about your chest position, and then carefully omitted it from your video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have asked a question about your chest position, and then carefully omitted it from your video.
    I meant to communicate that my back isn't "flat" (as a result of lifting my chest) in the starting position.
    I can find a better angle to record from next time if seeing me standing up straight with my shoulders back is interesting (I'm unclear if that is a thing people are generally able to fail to do correctly - seemed straightforward to me).

Some people, usually men, are slightly kyphotic in the start position, and this is normal if your thoracic spine is kyphotic. We have observed this many times on these boards, and I assumed yo knew that, so I didn't know you were referring to your start position.. You are one of these guys, but since we can't see your chest at lockout because of your careful editing, we cannot tell if it's a problem at the top. Because there is no top.

Didn't know that kyphosis was an official thing with a formal name, glad to hear it can be a "normal" state.
    I'll film better next time, sorry my initial post was confusing.

One thing we *can* see that needs immediate correction is the way you are setting the bar down. Do not start by breaking at the knees; break at the hips first, and then bend your knees when the bar gets below them.

This is one of Andy Baker’s “Top 4 Ways to Hurt Your Back While Deadlifting”. Or something to that tune.

Thanks for the advice Eric! I'll try correcting this.

Quote Originally Posted by dsweet View Post
    Didn't know that kyphosis was an official thing with a formal name, glad to hear it can be a "normal" state.
    That's why you're here, sweet.

Alright back with a new video that includes the rest of me this time.
    I messed up Eric's lowering cue on the second rep (hips first, knees only after bar clears) but think I have it on the other reps. I like this idea of keeping my kneecaps!

YouTube

Any thing else I'm missing?

starting strength coach development program
    Pretty good. But see that thing your doing with your elbows just above your knees in the pull? Don't do that. Drag the bar, don't "hitch" the bar. Fix this bad habit now.