starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any cues for my squat

Default Any cues for my squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

I am a new powerlifter and I want to have different opinion on my technique. I took 5 minutes few days ago to look at the technique of the best powerlifter in every category in the IPF and I understood that I don't have a good technique if I compare myself to them.

I already know all of these point but can you help me to find some more or giving me your opinion about my technique and my self-critic?

- My head is looking up instead of forward
    - My upperbody is leaning forward instead of staying upright
    - The weight is not stable in my back
    o I’m moving forward/backward when I lift the weight
    o You can see that on my feet too (They get off the floor at some times during the lift)
    - My knees are pointing in when I reach close my max rep or 1 RM (You can’t see it on the video)
    - A little lack in my ankle mobility (Why I think that? Because I just change my shoe from a 15mm to a 22mm height and it is now a lot easier to keep it upright during my squat)
    - I don’t have the better shoulder mobility if you compare to Mr. Atwood

Question Any Cues for my squat

Sorry to make another post but I can't erase the last one and I only have half on the message on the last one...

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Hello everyone,

I am a new powerlifter (1 years of experience) and I want to have different opinion on my technique. I took 5 minutes few days ago to look at the technique of the best powerlifter in every category in the IPF and I understood that I don't have a good technique if I compare myself to them.

I already know all of these point but can you help me to find some more or giving me your opinion about my technique and my self-critic?

- My head is looking up instead of forward
    - My upperbody is leaning forward instead of staying upright
    - The weight is not stable in my back
    o I’m moving forward/backward when I lift the weight
    o You can see that on my feet too (They get off the floor at some times during the lift)
    - My knees are pointing in when I reach close my max rep or 1 RM (You can’t see it on the video)
    - A little lack in my ankle mobility (Why I think that? Because I just change my shoe from a 15mm to a 22mm height and it is now a lot easier to keep it upright during my squat)
    - I don’t have the better shoulder mobility if you compare to Mr. Atwood

Since one week, I started to work on keeping my upperbody upright when I squat and I moved from 375 for 3 reps to 405 for 3 reps in one session only. So I think that I already improve a lot but I want to have others opinions on my squats.

1. Can you help me to find the difference between my squat and the World champion in my category?

Here’s a squat perform by Taylor Atwood. World IPF champion in the 74 kg

Taylor Atwood on Instagram: “Squat: 515x8 Bench: 380x4 Deadlift: 560x10 #TheStrengthGuys #DeNovoNutrition #SBDApparel”

And here’s my own squat with 405 pounds. This was my last set of the training

Vinny_Dion on Instagram: “!!! Rep PR !!! Another rep PR this week. 405 for 3 reps and 400 for 3 in the second video. I’m pretty sure that the 200kg is not that far…”

Here’s another angle with a little bit lighter weight 395 pounds. This was my last set of the training

Vinny_Dion on Instagram: “!!Rep PR!! Today I tried to keep my chest a little bit more upright during the squat and it give good result 395x3 (only one rep in the…”

Thank you.

Sorry Brian the forum bug when I post the thread and only half the message is shown.. Here is the full one : https://startingstrength.com/resourc...ml#post1705391

I already know the book but I want to have different cues based on the video that I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post

What do you want us to do exactly?

A technique comparison between my squat and taylor Atwood squat to help me improve my form. Maybe some cues to get there at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What do you want us to do exactly?

What is so significant about Mr. Atwood's squat?

Other than that it varies between 1-inch high and 3-inches high?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Sorry Brian the forum bug when I post the thread and only half the message is shown.. Here is the full one : https://startingstrength.com/resourc...ml#post1705391

I already know the book but I want to have different cues based on the video that I posted.
    Just to make sure I understand properly, you came to the Starting Strength forums to ask proponents of the Starting Strength model to give you cues to help you not squat to the Starting Strength model.

Do I understand correctly?

starting strength coach development program
    He is the 1st 74kg powerlifter in the world. I am in the same bodyweight category as him and he squat the same way as all the top 5 in each bodyweight category, so I just picked him because our segment are really similar. It could have been Brett gibbs or ray Williams but it would have been only less specific to my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What is so significant about Mr. Atwood's squat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast