starting strength gym

Thread: Looking over footage of when I injured my groin

Default Looking over footage of when I injured my groin

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello SSC's

I was looking over the footage of the set when I injured my groin. In my mind, I had excessive knee cave out of the hole, which I thought was the problem. Looking at the footage however, I don't think I had that much knee cave at all, definitely not any level warranting an injury that has so far kept me from squatting for 2+ weeks and hasn't felt better. I could agree that I am nearing the "dive-bombing" end of the descent speed spectrum, but that is the only critique of myself that I can imagine contributed to the injury.

This is more of a Form Check (because I am confused about why the injury occurred) but in case you were curious, the injury felt like a really strong pop with a bit of discomfort. It felt as if something was rubbing over "cord"-like soft tissue, as if one plucked a strong rubber band with their finger if that makes sense. I could still squat during that workout, but the next workout the pain was far too bad. I have an appointment set up to get it diagnosed so don't feel pressured to try to give informal medical advice. Thanks!

Footage:
    YouTube

-Cole Robbins

It looks to me as though you were exaggerating the knees-out cue on the way down. A common misinterpretation. Knees stay in line with the toes, not outside them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It looks to me as though you were exaggerating the knees-out cue on the way down. A common misinterpretation. Knees stay in line with the toes, not outside them.
    Any exaggeration in the knees out would probably be due to me trying to make enough room for my hips as I squat to depth. Do you know whether pushing knees a bit too far out increases risk the of groin injury?

No. And I think your diagnosis is wrong - you're just pushing them out to hard. Keep them in line with your foot angle / toes. As far as pushing knees out too far, and groin injury, it would be hard to characterize the degree to which it would increase risk beyond "probably," but it does force the adductor musculature of the hip to have to extend further (which is why we shove the knees out - in a correct manner - in the first place). As far as the speed of your rep, it might be a bit quick, but that is also hard to say. Proper decent speed is highly individual, I find, with people who have a better vertical jump being able to recruit muscular force faster generally having quicker descent speeds, and people who have less recruitment potential having slower descent speeds.

Finally, the book, IIRC, talks about how to recover from a groin tear, in the context of a discussion on why we encourage you to get your knees out. It's in the section discussing stance width.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 10-01-2018 at 08:52 AM.