starting strength gym

Thread: Power clean form chack

Default Power clean form chack

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today i did power clean with 30 kg on the bar. how is the form?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeevOl View Post
    Today i did power clean with 30 kg on the bar. how is the form?
    YouTube
    Sorry for the double

The bar is too high when you jump. It gets too high because you are pulling it with your arms instead of jumping with it. The jump doesn't actually contribute to anything; you are pulling the bar up to your shoulders and then perfunctorily jumping.

Try this: take your grip on the bar, rotate your elbows out, and squeeze your triceps into extension. Notice where the bar touches your thigh when you are in this position; mark the bar with chalk and then rub the bar on your shorts if you have to so you can get a good visual of this particular spot. Then, starting from the hang position, lower the bar to just below your knees. Keeping your arms perfectly straight, stand up as if you are just deadlifting the bar. The second the bar touches just below that same spot, and with perfectly straight arms, jump as high as you possibly can. Don't think about pulling the bar up. Don't think about shrugging your shoulders. Just jump.

You must think of your arms as if they are just pieces of rope attached to your torso at the shoulders. The arms do not pull the bar. Pretend you have no muscles in your arms and must simply throw the bar up onto your shoulders using your hips, and you do this by jumping as high as possible the second the bar touches you in that spot.

Personally, I think what helps with the power clean technique is adding a little more weight so that an arm pull is not done as easily, but you have to be careful because this is a good way to hurt your elbow.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 09-21-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    The bar is too high when you jump. It gets too high because you are pulling it with your arms instead of jumping with it. The jump doesn't actually contribute to anything; you are pulling the bar up to your shoulders and then perfunctorily jumping.

Try this: take your grip on the bar, rotate your elbows out, and squeeze your triceps into extension. Notice where the bar touches your thigh when you are in this position; mark the bar with chalk and then rub the bar on your shorts if you have to so you can get a good visual of this particular spot. Then, starting from the hang position, lower the bar to just below your knees. Keeping your arms perfectly straight, stand up as if you are just deadlifting the bar. The second the bar touches just below that same spot, and with perfectly straight arms, jump as high as you possibly can. Don't think about pulling the bar up. Don't think about shrugging your shoulders. Just jump.

You must think of your arms as if they are just pieces of rope attached to your torso at the shoulders. The arms do not pull the bar. Pretend you have no muscles in your arms and must simply throw the bar up onto your shoulders using your hips, and you do this by jumping as high as possible the second the bar touches you in that spot.

Personally, I think what helps with the power clean technique is adding a little more weight so that an arm pull is not as easily possible, but you have to be careful because this is a good way to hurt your elbow.
    Ok i will learn it. thank you.

If you haven't read the Power Clean chapter of SS:BBT3, I suggest you start there. There's a whole stepwise teaching method to this lift.

You can also search YouTube and find videos of Rip teaching this method.

The biggest problem of a fair number of problems is that you are arm pulling. That's got to get fixed before you go any further.

Fixing an Arm Pull in the Clean

do read the teaching progression in The Book. Good luck!

Edit: Eric already talked about it. But I gave you a helpful link!
    Last edited by Karl Schudt; 09-21-2018 at 12:06 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    If you haven't read the Power Clean chapter of SS:BBT3, I suggest you start there. There's a whole stepwise teaching method to this lift.

You can also search YouTube and find videos of Rip teaching this method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    The biggest problem of a fair number of problems is that you are arm pulling. That's got to get fixed before you go any further.

Fixing an Arm Pull in the Clean

do read the teaching progression in The Book. Good luck!

Edit: Eric already talked about it. But I gave you a helpful link!
    I read all the book include the power clean chapter. I went throught the learning process(the hanging position, jumping position and racking position) and i did it slow. Now i will fix the arm pull problem so i could progress in the lift. thank you guys