starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all, would appreciate a form check for my deadlifts.

I find it really difficult to completely straighten my lower back as much as I see people do in technique videos, however, it seems to straighten out once I initiate the pull,
    but then returns to a curve once I take a breath at the bottom. The deadlifts in the videos are only 64 kg or 140 lb for 5 reps.

Thanks!

Couple of starting questions:

1. Age, height, weight?
    2. How long have you been doing the program?
    3. How much weight have you gained since you started?

These don’t look terrible. I think what your perceiving as low back rounding is just how you are built down there. That being said, can you control your low back when you are standing up? Have you done the Superman drill? You’ve got good extension of your upper back. Skinny guys can look weird doing these movements until they fill out.

Make sure you lock out your knees fully at the top. It looks like they are still bent at the top.

On the descent, break at your hips first; don’t bend your knees until the bar is past them.

What are the diameter of these plates you are using?

Do you have proper lifting shoes? If so, wear them. If not, you’ll need them.

Hi Lachy!

Geez you're flexible for a male lol. I feel like you are trying to over extend your back, especially on the way down. Just stay tight- a belt would help with this.
    Otherwise these look pretty good. 2 main things- 1) don't stop pushing the floor. The goal is to stay over the bar as long as you can. Your knees need to continue to extend the whole time vs stopping and just opening your hip angle and then going back to finish straightening your knees. 2) Stand up all the way at the top. Squeeze your glutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Couple of starting questions:

1. Age, height, weight?
    2. How long have you been doing the program?
    3. How much weight have you gained since you started?
    Hey thanks for the feedback,

I'm 17, 180 cm and 72kg.
    I've been doing the program for 2 weeks now, and have gained roughly 5lb.

From memory, the diameter of those 20kgs is around 410-420 mm, just under olympic plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Burman View Post
    Hi Lachy!

Geez you're flexible for a male lol. I feel like you are trying to over extend your back, especially on the way down. Just stay tight- a belt would help with this.
    Otherwise these look pretty good. 2 main things- 1) don't stop pushing the floor. The goal is to stay over the bar as long as you can. Your knees need to continue to extend the whole time vs stopping and just opening your hip angle and then going back to finish straightening your knees. 2) Stand up all the way at the top. Squeeze your glutes.
    Hey,
    ahaha yea I've been told that I'm a bit flexible.
    thankyou for the feedback, helps a lot!