starting strength gym

Thread: First time doing 315 deadlift, form check

Default First time doing 315 deadlift, form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Any feedback is appreciated! Most of the reps felt fine, but the fourth one I had a bit of shaky leg, fifth didn’t seem to be an issue. Totally open to any critique!

YouTube

Let the bar settle after each rep. Your doing touch and go deadlifts . Much safer to reset every rep. Also set your back by lift ling your chest up. Good luck !

Ok, thanks! Duly noted! I’ll try that next session!

Bar is too forward of mid-foot/over the toes putting your hips too low. No back extension. Touch and go reps. Carrying the bar to the rack after.

Congrats on the set, but you’ve got some form work to do.

I agree with the critiques. Remember, gulp air while weight is on floor at the same time you reset your body. Do not breathe while bar is off of the floor. As Satch wrote, put bar on floor when though. Believe us. When you get to 405 you will not want to carry that weight around.

Thanks all! Much appreciated feedback!

On another note, today is the first day I ever remember seeing the term “touch and go” on deadlifts. Did I miss a whole section of the book (yes I bought it and I read it cover to cover, but it’s a lot of info to remember everything), or is it covered somewhere on the site?

And I’m also now afraid to post my squat video, as I’m sure there will be a ton of things I’m missing... LOL.

All the more reason to post it

Review the section on the set up. You want your shins an inch from the bar at set up. Yours are about a quarter mile away, which means the bar is forward of mid foot. To compensate and get your shins to the bar, you have to drop your hips way too low. Setting up closer to the bar should clear up a few issues. At no point in that set was your lower back set. My favourite cue for setting your back is to point your asshole at the wall behind you and your nipples at the wall in front of you. Really squeeze into that position. It's not comfortable.

Touch and go just means that you're barely letting the weight touch the ground before you pull again. You're not bouncing yours hard (as many do), but it still lets you use the stretch reflex and doesn't let you reset between reps. A full stop deadlift, such as in competition, is a concentric move. You don't get to utilize any stretch reflex as you're just picking it up for a single. There's a time and place for using the stretch reflex to train the pulling muscles (RDLs for example), but not during your regular deadlifts. Let the bar settle (ideally right back over mid foot), set your back again, get a new breath, and then start your next rep.

Yeah I was just joking about being afraid to post it (kind of &#128514, I posted it because I was sure there are issues that probably needed correcting, as I’m sure there are on my squat as well.

So in short, asshole to the wall behind, nipples to the wall in front, leave a layer of DNA on the bar, stop being so damn lazy, and strip it on the floor. Lol. I think I got it!

starting strength coach development program
    1. Bar is too far forward of your shins. Reread the 5 step setup process.
    2. Your hips rise up before the bar leaves the ground. (see point above)
    3. Halfway up the bar is not in contact with your legs anymore.
    4. You unlock your knees too early on the way down. Hips go back first.
    5. Stop at the bottom and take a full breath before you pull.
    6. You don't set your back correctly before each pull either.

DON'T WALK THE BAR BACK IN YOUR HANDS WHEN YOU'RE DONE!