starting strength gym

Thread: Question on touch and go

Default Question on touch and go

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So after posting my deadlift form check last week, it was brought up that touch and go was not the correct way to be doing things.

I can’t remember hearing of this term before, and I understand why it is not the best way to do things, and won’t be doing it in the future.

My question now, is what about the bench press? Because although I don’t bounce the weight off my chest (at all), I am just lightly touching the shirt and immediately pressing back up, is this wrong as well? It seems that this may be taking advantage of stored energy as well. Or is it only considered incorrect to do this in the deadlift, since the weight is supposed to start from a dead stop.

Should mention that I have no intention of ever competing, but I just want to make sure I’m doing things correctly.

It is incorrect because when bouncing the bar on the deadlift, you are taking advantage of the bar's momentum to get it going again. This is not the same as in the bench press (or the squat, or the press 1.0), where you are taking advantage of the stretch reflex of your muscle mass.

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

I checked out your DL form check video. Though you weren't bouncing the weight noticeably you were taking advantage of the stretch reflex. Those were closer to a Romanian DL in which the rep starts at the top. A DL starts at the bottom at a standstill for each rep. Hence the name deadlift. As to your question concerning the bench (and squat and press 1.0) taking advantage of the stretch reflex- that's how those lifts should be performed (as Eric mentioned). There are variations of the bench & squat that are 'paused'. This makes it more difficult by pausing to allow the stretch reflex to somewhat relax.

Performing TnG DL can also introduce undesirable variables into the set. Resetting between reps gives the lifter a chance to ensure the bar is placed over the mid foot with the shins in contact with the bar. We get to take in a deep breath, squeeze the chest up, pack the lats, and set ourselves up for success for the following rep. There simply isn't time to do this with a TnG DL. We need to control as many variables as we can.
    Scott Acosta, SSC, Westside Barbell Coach, USAPL Coach, Nice Guy
    essentialbarbell@yahoo.com
    For the love of God, just do the fucking program

starting strength coach development program
    All good info!