starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check: Deadlift

Default Form Check: Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I feel like my form starts to breakdown around this weight. I’d be grateful for feedback about anything that seems problematic as well as suggestions for ways to correct it.

YouTube

Many thanks

Hiya!

Figured I'd pop in here and take a peek. Your deadlift is not too shabby! A few minor tweaks to be made but nothing super drastic!

Before you even bend over to pick up the bar, whilst standing, ensure you completely straighten out those knees (to determine the distance from the shins) and get yourself over mid-foot rather than leaning and having your weight forward onto the toes. This is going to set you up for success once you bend over to place your hands on the bar.

Once the correct stance is established, you'll need to ensure that your weight is off of your toes before you squeeze the chest up and get into extension. Think *vertical shins* to accomplish this. Correcting this weight distribution is also going to make it easier for you to get the slack out of the bar and to pull that torso up to the ceiling! Squeeze your chest up so hard that you get the plates to hover off of the ground from that movement alone, and once you've removed the slack out of the bar, you can start to drive the legs through the floor

Hi Ness,

Ah! These are very helpful comments. Was completely unaware of setup issues. I can see the sway/play in my upper body as the bar is leaving the ground. Also, the vertical shins cue will be good to remember. Thank you!