starting strength gym

Thread: Form check: power clean

Default Form check: power clean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve avoided these by doing rows for quite some time for multiple reasons: I’m older, they are seemingly more technical, etc. But I felt like I should incorporate these. To that end, I’d appreciate any notes or suggestions for corrections.

YouTube

I'm not an SSC, but these look pretty decent to me. It's going to get tough without bumpers though.

Thanks for the feedback. My gym has bumper plates. So should be good to go.

Good. Add weight and keep going. These looked kind of light for you.

Your rack position needs some work.

The grip is too narrow. Try spreading your hands out about a thumbs width. I like to place the tip of my thumb at the center knurling and then take my grip where my palm falls.

The big problem with your rack position is that your arms are stack on top of your elbows rather than to the side of them. This is causing your elbows to be too low in the rack position.

And if you are not using a hook grip, you should be. It facilitates the catch.

Thanks, misspelledgeof. Will definitely start adding weight.

Eric, thanks for your comments. I can see now how my arms are stacked. In fact, it seems most obvious on the first rep where it looks like I almost didn’t rack the bar. That is extremely helpful. I’ll try a wider grip. Ive not used a hook grip but will work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by craftb View Post
    I’ve avoided these by doing rows for quite some time for multiple reasons: I’m older, they are seemingly more technical, etc. But I felt like I should incorporate these. To that end, I’d appreciate any notes or suggestions for corrections.

YouTube
    Setup: harder thoracic extension -- cue big chest.

Shoulders are over the bar and elbows bent while your feet are still flat on the floor. Instead, stay over the bar until the trigger point. And your hips launch the bar, not your arms. Your arms are straps. Elbows do not bend until the torso sinks.

Rack as mentioned: try wider, and don't hold on to the bar at the top -- it lands on your delts. This will allow correct elbows pointing forward (like your reps 2 and 3).

These things make me doubt you've gone through the teaching progression in SS:BBT3... but yeah it's a long teaching progression.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, JD. Staying over the bar until the trigger point is very helpful. I’m going to definitely keep that in mind. I can see now that I was too vertical and relying on my arms rather than hips. Very helpful feedback. I’ve read Starting Strength, watched the videos on the forum regarding power cleans as well as the one with Bret McKay. Although thorough, translating that information into the specific actions necessary to properly execute the movement have been challenging. So I’m grateful for the feedback here.