starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6’2, 154.5, 160 squat form check

Default 6’2, 154.5, 160 squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    could this issue actually increase my overall squat? so right now after noticing some videos i’ve been seeing about me low bar squatting i see myself breaking at the hips first and after a while break at the knees. i feel squatting extremely heavy at 160

i also noticed im opening my knees way too off. heres two videos

YouTube

friend took this one

YouTube

should i deload weight? already deloaded weight at 180 due to form issues

yes im eating

First of all, while neither angle is great for seeing depth, a lot of these look high. Especially in the second video. I don't see anything with your stance that would necessarily prevent you from reaching depth, so maybe it's just an issue with feeling proper depth. Next session, really focus on burying them deeper than you have to and ideally get more video. Then we can see if there's really something preventing you from hitting depth or if you're just having trouble feeling where it is.

The biggest thing I see is that your hip drive needs a lot of work. You're really leading with your chest on these. At this weight, hip drive should be a lot more visible. Don't be afraid to bend over more and stay there longer on the ascent. Drive that ass straight up out of the hole.

Also, you say you're eating, but eat more! How much weight have you gained since starting the program? You say you've already deloaded once, which suggests you've been at this for a bit, and you're still all kinds of skinny.

thanks a lot mate! thanks a lot for your time. i see that its still high. damn ! i had to deload weight to fix this but i guess i will still need to deload to 135 again right? my issue is bending. i dont know when to actually bend over. i fear that i will fall over or the bar will break me. do you bend over when you start the rep aka when breaking at the hips and knees at the same time? i do have an herniated disc. not that im scared because of it but maybe thats why im staying a bit highish. its just fear tho. i do however break at the hips first

thanks a lot mate i will look for more videos

You are not squating deeply enough. Wear proper shoes. Eat over 3500 calories and 200 grams of protein per day.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You are not squating deeply enough. Wear proper shoes. Eat over 3500 calories and 200 grams of protein per day.
    danggit i will need to deload weight

You're awfully quick to declare a deload, when these are already light. Try to fix it at 160. You don't want to get stuck in a cycle of deloads. And yes, bend over, break at the hips, and break at the knees simultaneously.

You also didn't answer the question about how much weight you've gained

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    You're awfully quick to declare a deload, when these are already light. Try to fix it at 160. You don't want to get stuck in a cycle of deloads. And yes, bend over, break at the hips, and break at the knees simultaneously.

You also didn't answer the question about how much weight you've gained
    thanks haha well i gained 1 pound in two weeks

Then whatever you're eating, eat more of it!

starting strength coach development program
    A Gallon of Milk a Day was designed specifically for our friend Stevow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast