starting strength gym

Thread: Chins/Negatives Form Check

Default Chins/Negatives Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This'll be my last form check for a good long bit - I promise... Getting better at recognizing the screwed up crap I do myself...

Wasn't sure how to film this one - there was no guidance, but chins might be important in my plan, since my deadlift is pretty dysfunctional. A chin is my 1RM (Attempted a second on my first set and failed), so I'm adding negatives as well.

As promised, circus music this time.

-->Adam

First off, try a narrower grip.

For the negatives, 1) get your descent under control -- don't swing around, 2) slow them down, and 3) you have to take them all the way to the bottom. For 3, bend your legs or find a higher place to chin so you can do this. Chins are won at the bottom and you're leaving this out by relaxing early. Same thing goes for your chin -- don't start out leaning on the floor.

Many thanks Stef - I'll implement that. I'll try to learn to balance off the launch so I don't swing (once the swinging starts, I can't stop it), slow the 3-second count on a negative down to 5-second, and slow all the way to the bottom/elbows locked.

Follow up questions (mostly about the equipment available to me).

The bar I'm using is obviously too short and won't permit a narrower grip. I could use the neutral-grip bars, but that's a harder exercise and I'd lose the ability to do one chin. I have three options at my gym - let me know which is better:

- Use the bar and width I have, but bend by knees so I don't hit the floor (feet behind me).
    - Use the bar I have pictured with the closer-in, neutral grip. This will result in doing only negatives.
    - I can use the steel beams that hold up the heavy bags (boxing gym). They are much higher off the floor, so I won't touch the floor and can control my grip width. But, it isn't a chin-up bar, it's like hanging from a 2x4. I can curl my fingers around the top, but my palms are flat against the beam. It's a much weaker (but still stable) grip, and the rectangular shape would probably help stop the swinging.

- Use the bar I have pictured with the closer-in, neutral grip. This will result in doing only negatives.
    Neutral grip is an easier, efficient position. Bend your legs and try it. So far you haven't been started from the bottom and haven't been working on full reps anyway.

The music is strangely appropriate.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you again Stef. I implemented your suggestions this morning and it went great.

I don't know why I thought neutral grip would be harder (probably read it somewhere on the internet) - it was indeed easier like you said, and I almost got two, even locking out elbows (eyes to bar, but no higher on second rep).

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    The music is strangely appropriate.
    I figure if I'm begging for free advice, I should at least try to entertain... I'm hoping one day my form will be good enough to be worthy of the Harlem Globetrotters theme song, Sweet Georgia Brown. I have a long way to go...