starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just hit 275X3X5 today! I know this isn’t super crazy weight, but it looks cool on the bar, and it’s a milestone I was looking forward to for a while. Plus, weighing roughly 152 lbs, this is over 1.8X body weight, which is pretty good. I’m never satisfied though, and I only want to get keep getting stronger. I also know my technique is quite imperfect, with room for improvement.

YouTube

The issues that I see are that I’m not getting my back forward soon enough, and that I am staying a bit too upright in general. This is what I believe is causing some imperfect bar path.

Thoughts?

Correct. Fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Correct. Fix it.
    Cool to get advice from the man himself.

YouTube

This last 5 from yesterday’s session was a grinder. I really tried to get the back angle down, but it’s getting tougher.

Hey Patrick
    You're not really setting your back tight before you start each rep and, consequently, are reluctant to lean over early enough.
    The upper and lower back need set tight into extension so they keep the spine rigid and you can lean over without feeling like you're going to collapse.
    Watch this YouTube
    Then go ahead and read this Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon
    Get your back tight and get your chest pointed at the ground as you send the hips back.
    Give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey Patrick
    You're not really setting your back tight before you start each rep and, consequently, are reluctant to lean over early enough.
    The upper and lower back need set tight into extension so they keep the spine rigid and you can lean over without feeling like you're going to collapse.
    Watch this YouTube
    Then go ahead and read this Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon
    Get your back tight and get your chest pointed at the ground as you send the hips back.
    Give that a try.
    I watched the video and then read the article. Then I went in and did 285X2X3. (switched to 4-day TM with 2X3, didn’t bitch out of 285X5 lol)

I tried real hard to keep my entire back right. Unfortunately, I don’t think it looks much better, if it all. Here is a video:

YouTube

I’m going to have to go see somebody in person to get these fixed. I’ve had a lot of great help from SSCs on here, I have tried to implement it, and nothing seems to work. I still have hideous squats. :/

Your head goes up more and more the higher you go. Were you coached before "head up to go up"?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbfast View Post
    Your head goes up more and more the higher you go. Were you coached before "head up to go up"?
    No. I believe that issue comes from trying to keep my back right and chest up.