starting strength gym

Thread: squat form checl

Default squat form checl

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip told me to get my knees out more to achieve proper depth. Have I accomplished my mission?

Anything else I should be doing differently?

Thanks guys

YouTube

Depth looks fine, despite the fact that you're wearing quite literally the worst possible outfit for a form check Looks like you're getting your knees out well. If anything they look like they could be tracking outside of your feet a bit, just because your stance looks on the narrow side and your toes look like they could be turned out a bit more. Hard to tell from this angle though. Overall, these look like pretty solid squats to me!

I wish I could squat consistently at that depth.

Feel like you get on your toes? Watch your feet in the video. Could just be the floor flexing a little, though.

Took me a while, I find it less comfortable without the sleeves though tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Depth looks fine, despite the fact that you're wearing quite literally the worst possible outfit for a form check Looks like you're getting your knees out well. If anything they look like they could be tracking outside of your feet a bit, just because your stance looks on the narrow side and your toes look like they could be turned out a bit more. Hard to tell from this angle though. Overall, these look like pretty solid squats to me!
    Haha I didn't realise, should I have worn different colours?

Fair comment on the knees Ill focus more know keeping them in line with the feet

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Feel like you get on your toes? Watch your feet in the video. Could just be the floor flexing a little, though.
    The floor is crap, but you are right it's my heels lifting, should I be working on ankle mobility maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ldoublee1986 View Post
    The floor is crap, but you are right it's my heels lifting, should I be working on ankle mobility maybe?
    No. Cue yourself, "Heels". You don't want to literally squat from your heels, but this cue will be a temporary over correction until you get balanced on your midfoot.

Hello-

You are actually doing a decent job getting your knees out to the position of your stance... but your stance has your toe angle too shallow. This is why your squat is pitching onto your toes as well. The stance does not allow for enough knees out, which is keeping your femurs in the way.

Here is a picture from the SS book showing the toe angles.... Try taking a little bit more toe out- and then shove your knees out to meet this toe angle. You will feel like your femurs are much more abducted or spread apart, but this will help you do balance your weight over your feet, as in in the whole foot and sit back.

Toes_out_images 2.jpg

Keep training! You will have a strong squat!
    Last edited by Bekah Cygan; 11-11-2018 at 10:44 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Cygan View Post
    Hello-

You are actually doing a decent job getting your knees out to the position of your stance... but your stance has your toe angle too shallow. This is why your squat is pitching onto your toes as well. The stance does not allow for enough knees out, which is keeping your femurs in the way.

Here is a picture from the SS book showing the toe angles.... Try taking a little bit more toe out- and then shove your knees out to meet this toe angle. You will feel like your femurs are much more abducted or spread apart, but this will help you do balance your weight over your feel in the whole and sit back.

Toes_out_images 2.jpg

Keep training! You will have a strong squat!
    Hi bekah

That does make a lot of sense, I read the book quite a lot and I attempt to copy the stance but obviously not quite right, a wider stance does feel harder on the adductors but if it keeps the heels down ill do it