starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift form check please

Default deadlift form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

Just wondering if these look acceptable?

Any replies much appreciated

Man, that lighting is terrible. Get the weight of the bar more in the hands before you begin the pull, then squeeze off the floor. Other than that though, it looks pretty decent to me.

Agreed, very dark I'll try get a better video

Hey man!

Despite the low light conditions, we can still tell quite a few things from this. To start, your stance is too wide and you're starting too far back from the bar. Bring your feet 4-5" closer together at the heels and start with your shins 1" from the bar. Are you familiar with the rest of the 5 step set-up?

Also curious why you're pulling with straps? Is there no chalk available?

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    Hey man!

Despite the low light conditions, we can still tell quite a few things from this. To start, your stance is too wide and you're starting too far back from the bar. Bring your feet 4-5" closer together at the heels and start with your shins 1" from the bar. Are you familiar with the rest of the 5 step set-up?

Also curious why you're pulling with straps? Is there no chalk available?
    Thanks caleb

Yes I'm familiar with the set up I guess I'm just trying to perfect it still. I pull with straps as i can't hold any more than 140 kg without, haven't tried chalk but I'll get some.

I stand corrected. Trying to improve my coaching skills.

Caleb, what are the visual cues you used to determine excessive stance width from the video? Or is it just intuitive for you from watching thousands of videos?

Also am going to take a second attempt at contributing here.

Looks like the bar goes around the knees both on the way up and down. When setting the bar down, break the hips before the knees. On the way up, you may be raising the chest too quickly relative to knee extension.

Quote Originally Posted by ldoublee1986 View Post
    Thanks caleb

Yes I'm familiar with the set up I guess I'm just trying to perfect it still. I pull with straps as i can't hold any more than 140 kg without, haven't tried chalk but I'll get some.
    Sure thing man! Definitely get chalk. It's cheap and will prevent you from having to strap. You will also need to learn how to hook or alternate grip.

Quote Originally Posted by 凤凰来仪 View Post
    I stand corrected. Trying to improve my coaching skills.

Caleb, what are the visual cues you used to determine excessive stance width from the video? Or is it just intuitive for you from watching thousands of videos?

Also am going to take a second attempt at contributing here.

Looks like the bar goes around the knees both on the way up and down. When setting the bar down, break the hips before the knees. On the way up, you may be raising the chest too quickly relative to knee extension.
    I first just used the intuition of looking how far apart his feet are. I'm 99% sure he's not 6'9", so he doesn't need a stance that's 1 foot apart. You can see the affect of this wide stance on his knees though. It may be tough for you to see this from here, but his knees are pulling in. This happens because his stance is too wide.

You're right about the bar going around the knees. You're cue there is good for the descent. Fixing the ascent he just needs to fix the set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    I first just used the intuition of looking how far apart his feet are. I'm 99% sure he's not 6'9", so he doesn't need a stance that's 1 foot apart. You can see the affect of this wide stance on his knees though. It may be tough for you to see this from here, but his knees are pulling in. This happens because his stance is too wide.

You're right about the bar going around the knees. You're cue there is good for the descent. Fixing the ascent he just needs to fix the set-up.
    So I was reading the book earlier and I noticed in the deadlift section it says stancentre width at 12-15 inches apart at the heels, I'm only 6'1 but my hips are quite wide, my stance is within the unknurled parts of the bar you still think it's too wide?

I'm deadlifting tomorrow so I'll try moving my feet closer see if it feels any better

I try not to break at the knees before the bar passes them om the way down but I'll try to emphasise that

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ldoublee1986 View Post
    So I was reading the book earlier and I noticed in the deadlift section it says stancentre width at 12-15 inches apart at the heels, I'm only 6'1 but my hips are quite wide, my stance is within the unknurled parts of the bar you still think it's too wide?

I'm deadlifting tomorrow so I'll try moving my feet closer see if it feels any better

I try not to break at the knees before the bar passes them om the way down but I'll try to emphasise that
    The book actually says 8-12 inches apart (Figure 4-9, page 104). Yeah, you're still too wide. You aren't able to get your femurs into much external rotation at this width and your knees have a tendency to pull in. You'll be able to keep them shoved out better with a narrower stance.