starting strength gym

Thread: Chin up grip/elbow cues?

Default Chin up grip/elbow cues?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Motor moron/early intermediate here trying to get my first ever chin up. Titrated up from 0 to 6x3 on a thick band to 4x3 on a thinner band but as I’ve tried to advance I’ve noticed pain on the inside of my right forearm right above my elbow. It only hurts when locking out a bench (2/10) and then there’s kind of an instability/weakness doing chins. I’m on my 3rd day of the the 3200mg ibuprofen protocol (I know, 2 more days only!) so it doesn’t hurt much, but doing chins today I felt it stretch and realized that my elbow was flared out, which could certainly explain everything (not to mention the physics suggests this is submoptimal force production). Is this a grip width issue or is there a cue I should try?

If you are talking about the tendon in your forearm that attaches to the knobby bone on the inside of your elbow, i used to have the same problem. Mine hurt right where it attached to the knobby bone.

In my opinion, this likely happens because that tendon is recieving a lot of stress where it has not before. It might not be as relilliant as other tendons.

What i did was quit doing any pulling for about 3 weeks (not even deadlifts). Then i brought deadlifts back in. Then after a few more weeks i brought in pronated grip pull ups. At the time i accepted that i would always do pullups and not chinups. Well, about 6 months ago i changed back to chinups and have been doing them twice a weak pain free.

Give it a break for a bit before you do more damage. Then maybe try overhand pull ups for a while.

I've found doing a couple sets of light-moderate biceps can help alleviate elbow tendon issues/pain. Obviously don't go heavy and try to make it a bodybuilder curl workout.