starting strength gym

Thread: Front Squat Form Check

Default Front Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here's my front squat. What do you think?

YouTube

Thanks,

Jon

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot learn to actually squat. When your knees start hurting, front squats will be the reason. Posting to this board is not a substitute for coaching, especially for a guy who needs professional SSC coaching in person. Figure out how to get some help, or just do the machines at Golds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is absolutely no reason why you cannot learn to actually squat. When your knees start hurting, front squats will be the reason. Posting to this board is not a substitute for coaching, especially for a guy who needs professional SSC coaching in person. Figure out how to get some help, or just do the machines at Golds.
    Are you saying that front squats cause knee pain or or front squats cause knee pain? Do you have feedback on the movement I posted in the video? I have seen one or two videos where you coach this movement. I'm not asking if this is the best movement for me. I'm asking if I'm doing it well (and if not, what I could be doing better). Machines don't interest me.

Yes, I am saying that front squats cause knee pain for most lifters, some of which are young enough and tough enough to not mind. I have taught this movement to Olympic weightlifters, competitive athletes who have no choice but to train the front squat. Nobody else has any reason to do them, as I have said every time I'm asked about it. They are famous for aggravating quad tendons and leaving out the hamstrings. There is no way to do them that does not place a loading imbalance on the knees. This is discussed thoroughly in the book. I understand that machines don't interest you, and I also understand that professional coaching help doesn't seem to interest you either, having followed your posts for a while. So, go ahead and front squat, and when your knees hurt, be sure and remember this post.