starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form, bending forward

Post Squat form, bending forward

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

Just learning here. While I am waiting for my SS book from amazon, I am trying to put the picture together. I have noticed, that once the weights went up, I started feeling more stress and tension in lower inner part of the quadriceps, I think its vastus medialis, if I can read it properly. I also feel that my glutes are not involved as much, as they could.
    See the example picture of the tensed muscle point:
    e9lEQuVc_OU.jpg

I realized, I was doing something wrong and decided to film myself. (I filmed before I read the rules for this topic, so sorry for only a side view).

This video is in 80% speed, I have also added a vertical line from the middle of my foot and the other line, where the bar actually ends up.

Video with normal speed:

Any tips on how to fix the front bend? I see what the problem is, but I cannot understand how to tackle it. Thanks.

Alex

Elbows seem cranked up too much.

Control your descent more, i.e. slow it down, and sit back: your knees are traveling too far forward. Harder to tell from this angle, but I suspect your toes should point out more and your knees aren't getting wide enough. The low bar squat will fold you more before you bounce out of the bottom.

These things will improve bar path, but note that it's the system COM that should be in the slot over mid foot. For bar weights lighter than body weight (it's a continuum, not a discrete), the end of the bar will travel forward at the descent. All the same, it looks like your heels lift slightly at the bottom. Alternately, I'd cue you to feel even, balanced pressure between heels and toes.

Dive bombing may contribute to adductor irritation when the adductors suddenly get tension at the bottom.

while you're waiting for the book(s) there are stickies, videos, and articles here you can and should search and study.
    then read the book, thru and thru again,
    learn to count, stop at 5, or add weight,
    slow down and breath between reps, and only at the top,
    video from 45* from rear,

Hey Alex!

Welcome to the forums.

Neil and JD are on it here.

As JD said, don't worry at all where the bar is relative to mid-foot right now. The bar itself isn't going to be over the mid-foot until it approximates the majority of the combined COM.

You just need to slow down, lean over, and rack the bar after set 5.

We're excited you're here though! You'll learn a lot more once you get the book.

Hi all,

Thanks for answering, really appreciate it. I'd like to say, that I wasn't doing the SS novice program (although, I did the SL5x5, which seems to be despised here, so kinda passed the phase1 in terms of SS). Thats why I was doing aiming for 10 or more reps in my first video. I do seek for quality in my squats, though. What is your opinion, should I stop what I am doing right now (a 3d fullbody) and do the SS novice program with lighter weights/current weights?

So, this time I tried to do my homework and:
    * Made a 45° angle video with a gray t-shirt,
    * I tried not to flare and crank up my elbows, but it now seems that my wrists are not straight and under tension,
    * I tried to put the toes a bit more to the sides, and this did help to feel the glutes at the bottom of ROM,
    * I learned that its not about the bar path, rather the COM,
    * I took breaths only at the top,
    * Counted till 5 .
    * I failed to slow down while doing the descent.

4th set:

watch?v=dKhcfsWg7o0

5th set (accidently made 6reps, sorry):

watch?v=h0EenSaH8Ns

I really appreciate your critique. Thank you!

PS: No lifting shoes yet. Flat soles.

Bar looks to be far too high.

Looking a bit better. You need to bend over more and work on hip drive. Think about pointing your nipples at the floor, not the wall in front of you. Sit back to reach depth to keep you off your toes. You're still coming up on them a bit. On your way out of the hole think about staying bent over while you drive your ass straight up. You're currently leading with your chest. To practice, get into the bottom of a body weight squat and have someone apply a bit of pressure to your tailbone with their hand. Drive your tailbone up against that resistance.

It's not that SL5x5 is despised around here. It's better than a lot of silly bullshit on the internet, it just doesn't work as well for as long as a Novice Linear Progression. It's more volume than a novice needs to progress, so once you plateau, where do you go? You've opted for sets of 10, but a weight you can lift 10 times isn't going to get you stronger. So what, 8x5? 10x5? We do 5x5s too, but only after we've exhausted the utility of 3x5s and are generally squatting in the 300s.

I guarantee you're nowhere close to past phase 1 of the Novice LP, especially when you actually start eating and pack on the extra 30 lbs you desperately need If you actually want to get strong, stop what you're doing immediately, start the program, start eating for gains, and when your book arrives read like your life depends on it!

I agree with Budgie in that the bar does look too high. Start to position the bar just below the spine of the scapula. A good way to do this is to start with the bar where it is on your back while it is in the rack and then slowly stand up while applying pressure until you feel the bar move just under the spine. You can feel the distal end of the spine of your scapula by reaching either hand over the oppsite shoulder and feeling the ridge on your scapula.

Further, your feet are positioned off-line from one another. It appears that your left foot is forward of the right. Your foot angle is not turned out enough either. Take a moment to make sure your feet are on-line with one another and turn your toes out 1/2-1" on each side while keeping your heels in the same spot. You are aiming for approximately 30 degrees.

Once your feet are in position and the bar is properly situated, follow the advise of Dillon while making sure your femurs track the angle of your feet, which will ensure that your knees are in the correct position. This focus may serve to alleviate the pain you are feeling medially in your knees.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswmccue View Post
    I agree with Budgie in that the bar does look too high. Start to position the bar just below the spine of the scapula. A good way to do this is to start with the bar where it is on your back while it is in the rack and then slowly stand up while applying pressure until you feel the bar move just under the spine. You can feel the distal end of the spine of your scapula by reaching either hand over the oppsite shoulder and feeling the ridge on your scapula.

Further, your feet are positioned off-line from one another. It appears that your left foot is forward of the right. Your foot angle is not turned out enough either. Take a moment to make sure your feet are on-line with one another and turn your toes out 1/2-1" on each side while keeping your heels in the same spot. You are aiming for approximately 30 degrees.

Once your feet are in position and the bar is properly situated, follow the advise of Dillon while making sure your femurs track the angle of your feet, which will ensure that your knees are in the correct position. This focus may serve to alleviate the pain you are feeling medially in your knees.
    ^This is good stuff here James.

+1 to Dillon's comments on Stronglifts 5x5's