Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Set 1 YouTube
    Set 2 YouTube
    Set 3 YouTube

Buttwink gone but now i feel like im not hitting depth

Can't see depth from this angle, but your knees look better. If you can only get one angle, rear 3/4 is much better, preferably from about hip height. You're coming up on your toes a little bit. See your heels lift at the bottom? Really think about sitting back for depth and keeping your weight on midfoot the whole time. Your upper back is still really rounded. You can look down without rounding your upper back. It's an eye gaze thing, not a neck and spine thing. Just linked this video for someone else, but it'll be helpful for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Can't see depth from this angle, but your knees look better. If you can only get one angle, rear 3/4 is much better, preferably from about hip height. You're coming up on your toes a little bit. See your heels lift at the bottom? Really think about sitting back for depth and keeping your weight on midfoot the whole time. Your upper back is still really rounded. You can look down without rounding your upper back. It's an eye gaze thing, not a neck and spine thing. Just linked this video for someone else, but it'll be helpful for you too.

I apologize for potato quality videos.

Your vid is what I needed l in terms of getting under the bar and not rounding my upper back. I'll practice with a broom and try again wednesday. I'm very happy that the wink is gone now. I'm going over the chapter in SS again today. Will keeping my upper in proper position keep the bar over my foot or should I practice sitting back more? What are some good drills for this that I can practice?
    SS:BBT3E again also.

It might be hard with a broomstick because it's too light to really cram yourself in against, but by all means give it a shot. I can't even really do it with the empty bar. Need some weight on there. Can't hurt to try though!

Both! Keeping your back tight should help, but you need to be thinking about sitting back more. It's just a bit of heel lift, nothing too crazy. I don't know about drills, but when I was coaching my dad yesterday I just kept chanting "Back, back, back, back" at him until he hit depth, then I'd bark "Hips!" to cue him to drive up with his hips. Maybe just chanting "back" to yourself as you descend will be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    It might be hard with a broomstick because it's too light to really cram yourself in against, but by all means give it a shot. I can't even really do it with the empty bar. Need some weight on there. Can't hurt to try though!
    This. A bigger dude like yourself is especially going to need the resistance of the bar.

You're a pretty tight mofo and will need to spend some time stretching too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    This. A bigger dude like yourself is especially going to need the resistance of the bar.

You're a pretty tight mofo and will need to spend some time stretching too.

So what I started doing is spending more time warming up with an empty bar, I add weight and squat high bar until the warm ups are heavy enough to low bar. I've gotten a lot tight grip on the bar now in my session from yesterday.

I gotta hit dept now though.