starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Received some great advice on my squat form here so hoping for the same on deadlift. These feel pretty good (easy even), but I'm sure I'm making some errors. Mostly thinking my upper back loses tension and rounds a bit, although it's a bit rounded normally. Also of concern, I feel like my hips start high and I'm somewhere in between a SLDL and a DL, but I do have long arms so maybe my set up isn't that far off.

Thanks in advance.

YouTube

Not too bad man. As a fellow member of the kyphosis club, I feel you on not being able to get your upper back flat. Shouldn't really be a problem as long as it's not moving around during reps, which for the most part it doesn't seem to be. What's your hurry? You're taking very little time between reps to reset your back and get a new breath. A couple of extra seconds to focus on this step between reps and it should be fine.

You are stiff legging these a little bit, but it's not because of your setup as far as I can tell. You are one gangly dude, so your setup might look a little different than what you're used to seeing. The reason you're stiff legging them is because you're extending your knees too quickly and letting the bar get away from your legs. Watch your video at 0.25x speed and you'll see it. The first rep is the most egregious. Look at how much daylight there is between the bar and your legs as it's passing your knees. You can't exactly see it through the plates, but you'll be able to tell what I mean. Sounds weird, but think about being slow off the floor, treat it like a leg press until the bar passes your knees, and focus on keeping the bar against your legs the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Not too bad man. As a fellow member of the kyphosis club, I feel you on not being able to get your upper back flat. Shouldn't really be a problem as long as it's not moving around during reps, which for the most part it doesn't seem to be. What's your hurry? You're taking very little time between reps to reset your back and get a new breath. A couple of extra seconds to focus on this step between reps and it should be fine.

You are stiff legging these a little bit, but it's not because of your setup as far as I can tell. You are one gangly dude, so your setup might look a little different than what you're used to seeing. The reason you're stiff legging them is because you're extending your knees too quickly and letting the bar get away from your legs. Watch your video at 0.25x speed and you'll see it. The first rep is the most egregious. Look at how much daylight there is between the bar and your legs as it's passing your knees. You can't exactly see it through the plates, but you'll be able to tell what I mean. Sounds weird, but think about being slow off the floor, treat it like a leg press until the bar passes your knees, and focus on keeping the bar against your legs the whole time.
    Thanks much. Slowed down a bunch today, really made a difference. I had always done touch and go, hard to break the habit. Keeping the bar on my legs definitely helped my hips from shooting up first.

These look better? Thanks!
    YouTube

Definitely look better. Looks like you might be setting up a touch far away from the bar, but can't really see, so just make sure it's about an inch. Your hips are rising first, which means they should be starting a bit higher. That's your body trying to find the most efficient position, so you might as well start there. Try not to drop your hips when you squeeze your chest up to set your back.

starting strength coach development program
    Definitely look better. Looks like you might be setting up a touch far away from the bar, but can't really see, so just make sure it's about an inch. Your hips are rising first, which means they should be starting a bit higher. That's your body trying to find the most efficient position, so you might as well start there. Try not to drop your hips when you squeeze your chest up to set your back.
    Thanks, I'm definitely about 1" from the bar. Felt decent today. I think it's just my long arms combined with a lack of focus keeping the bar against my legs. Wearing sweats would help since I bet having the bar scrape up my legs probably causes me to unintentionally keep it just a tiny bit away from my legs.