starting strength gym

Thread: From check, Squat/Bench Press/Deadlift

Default From check, Squat/Bench Press/Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat:
    You might notice that I have rather long femurs in relation to my torso. Two things I want to specifically ask about: wrist position and knees. Any other tips will be appreciated as well.

a) Wrists.
    From what I've understood, I should actually keep my wrists straight, not bent like I do. The problem is - If I want a tight upper back, my hands should be close together, which they are. If my hands are so close, I can not straighten wrists, because that makes my arms longer and forces the bar to be supported by my arms instead of my back. As far as I see, there are two options to fix this:
    1) Take a wider grip. If I do this and keep my wrists straight, then it bends my wrists sideways, and that causes enormous pressure and pain on the inner bone in the forearm.
    2) Take a thumbless grip. If I do this, then to keep my wrists straight, the main contact point between my palm and the bar will move 1-2 inches lower (towards elbow), and that causes enormous pressure and pain on the bone directly under the contact point.
    This is why I have a thumb-around close grip with my wrists bent. It does cause pressure on the wrists, but no pain. The bar is still supported by my back. Any ideas about this?

b) Knees. I started getting pain in my right knee within the last few weeks. Not only during lifting, but also during everyday movement and activities (walking up the stairs causes this too).
    Any ideas?

Video: Form check, 5 reps @ 100 kg.MOV - Google Drive

Bench Press:
    Pretty happy with this, but never had my form checked. To clarify, what you might not see clearly from the video: my heels are always flat on the ground all the way through; my butt never comes off the bench; the bar always touches my chest. As you can see from the video, I have a pretty long rib-cage in relation to the length of my torso. This set was my 5RM, and yes, I did manage to complete the next 2 sets of 5 reps after this one as well. As far as grip goes, I take a pretty normal grip. Never had any issues with this. I have tried the bulldog grip, but it hurts. On the Press however, I do take the bulldog grip and am pretty happy with that.

Video: Bench Press form check, 5 x 90 kg.MOV - Google Drive

Deadlift: I have pretty long femurs in relation to my torso. I feel I am doing the 5-step Deadlift setup pretty well. I did 4 reps in the video and failed the 5th rep. This was a surprise, because with 5 lbs lower weight I had absolutely no trouble. Here, on the 4 rep, I felt my grip starting to fail. Maybe I need more chalk on my thumbs. I use the hook-grip. Started using it 2 months ago first time, starting with low weights, and now I always use it. Never ever had any problems nor any pain with this. Definitely recommend it. When I analyze the lift myself, the bar rolls away from my shins on the 5th rep. This might be the reason for failing the rep. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Video: Deadlift form check, 4 x 152,5 kg.MOV - Google Drive

Thank you!

Squat:

My non-SSC eye can't see anything that would mess with your knee. Do the thumbs over grip and add in the Paul Horn stretch (Low Bar Position Stretch | Paul Horn). Once you actually are squatting, you may increase/decrease grip width by a finger or two. Either way, keep the back tight and chest big. Helpful cues include: stretch the bar with your hands, bring your elbows back and in, bring your chest to your chin (while keeping abs tight).

Bench:

Your arch is a bit wonky to my eye. Push with your legs and get some arch in the lower back, too. Your wrists bend throughout the set. Don't let your hands move so much as you set up; either do the grip last or set it and don't let the hands move. Grip adjustment 1: make sure the web of your thumb is pressed into the bar. Grip adjustment 2: Squeeze with your fingertips. This doesn't meat you have to pinch like a crab, but at least bring your fingers a bit higher. Do not let your wrists bend.

Speculation: It is possible that some of the wrist bending is caused by excessive elbow tuck, as evinced by the elbows flaring out as you press from the bottom. You may want to experiment with just having the elbows be where they eventually go (a bit wider), but don't overdo it and saw through your rotator cuff.

Deadlift:

Make sure you lock your knees out at the top instead of just pushing the hips forward/shoulders back. Bear the full weight of the bar before you push the ground away with your feet; there should be no slack. Don't bail on the 5th rep; it was good, you just were tired from the others and felt like the minimal back rounding was larger than it was. Look at the ground, not the wall-- bring your chest to your chin. Overall, very good. Keep at it.

Rock on, comrade!