starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    These are 2 of the 5 sets in a 5x5.

I'm having problems with consistency of setup. If I set up in the middle of the bar, I somehow always end up too far right so I set up purposely a little left to balance it out. On the way up, once the weight gets heavy, I always do that sway with my hips. I also noticed my elbows rise slightly on the sticking point.

YouTube Rear quarter

YouTube Back

Thanks for any help!

Yeah man you've got all kinds of asymmetry going on here. For starters your stance is way too wide, which is why your knees are collapsing inwards like that. Narrow it so your feet are under your armpits, not your elbows, and turn your toes out a little more. Think knees out hard the whole time. Your stance also looks staggered. Your right foot is further back than your left. Not that I have personal experience dealing with such things, but do you know if your legs are the same length? Just wondering because it's so funky looking and you seem to be instinctively staggering your stance. Might just be lack of awareness though. I sometimes get some hip sway as well, but can usually correct in on the next rep just by focusing on over compensating a bit. I assume you've tried this and are always thinking about driving your hips STRAIGHT up.

Your grip is also totally asymmetrical. Your left hand is out much wider than your right, and the elbow is lower. That's probably why you always end up to the right of the bar. The answer isn't to set up asymmetrically on purpose though, it's to practice centering yourself under the bar, and to improve your grip so that it stays there. A much narrower grip and better thoracic extension are your friends here. Are you able to narrow your grip? Better thoracic extension will also help prevent you from cranking your elbows up. Puff your chest up hard before you unrack the bar so your supporting it on tight delts and upper back musculature, not a rounded upper spine.

You're also looking straight ahead for your whole squat. You look down as you're standing up straight, and as soon as you start to descend you raise your head and stare at the mirror the whole time. Look down! Not straight down at your shoes, but a few feet in front. Maybe at that bottom row of bricks.

Why are you doing 5x5? Given the fact that there's this much work to do on your squat, and that you could stand to gain some body weight, it's pretty unlikely you're an intermediate.

Dillion is offering some good suggestions.

Can you narrow your grip at all or are your shoulders too tight to tolerate that? Have a narrower grip will probably help you "practice getting centered" under the bar for your set up.

Definitely take Mr. Spencer's advise on the stance and eye gaze too!