starting strength gym

Thread: Obese deadlift

Default Obese deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m currently 418 at 5’11” ( down from 466). Weight loss is my primary goal but I’m developing a love for strength training.

I’m having some trouble with my gut getting in the way when I deadlift. I’m wondering if I should go sumo until I loose some more weight as it is much easier to get my back straighter. I’ve posted vids of conventional and sumo below.

Conventional:
    YouTube

Sumo:
    YouTube

Do you have any video shot from the same county

Hard to see much from this angle and this far away, but you're definitely pulling most of these from in front of midfoot. Both styles. You're rolling the bar all over the floor between reps and not letting it settle over midfoot before pulling. You can get away with this now because that's light as hell for you, but you need to practice all 5 steps in a more deliberate manner.

Review the 5 steps, read the stickies, and get better video!

Yes I need to work in my form. The bar traveling too far forward is part of my problem with my size. Trying to bring it closer just rounds my lower back.

Totally. It's just that it's hard to tell what you might be capable of doing form-wise when you're pulling as the bar is rolling all over the floor. Usually a bar that's too far forward is a bigger problem for a rounded back than a bar that's too close to the shins. It's entirely possible pulling sumo is a better option if you really can't get into position for conventional, just trying to offer some feedback on how to give conventional an honest effort before deciding that's the case. It's not just a conventional vs. sumo thing, because you're rolling the bar back and forth between reps in your sumo video too, and pulling while it's still moving.

Congratulations on the weight loss. If you haven't already, I would suggest reading Andy Baker's recent article which you may find helpful.

Training the Emergency Weight Loss Trainee | Andy Baker

Thanks Travis. That article was really helpful. I think I’m going to try some block pulls until I can get some of this weight off.

starting strength coach development program
    RKWilson-

This is awesome, man. Keep it up!

Definitely Rack Pulls as Andy mentions in the article. But here is another tip... because sometimes the belly makes it hard to place the bar in the right place. Put a small plate right up against the back of the big plates that are on your bar on the bock, - or make a chalk mark on the pin (if you are using a power rack). Walk right up to the bar and touch your legs against it. Then roll the bar forward 1.5 inches, by looking at the chalk mark or the plate. You can use these as a reference to make sure the set up is just right. This should help you to line the bar up over your mid foot. You may also want to take a stance with your heels more like 12-14 inches a part. A little bit wider than normally recommended.

Post of video of your Rack Pulls if you still need help! And keep after it! You are doing great!