starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am not aiming to gain weight at the moment as I have some uphill cycling goals which require not getting too heavy...

I must say the video posted by Dillon was a blessing.

I have some new videos so share:

Squats: tried to implement all the advice given above:

- tried putting my chest up before unracking (feels a lot better that way)
    - tried keeping wrists straight, looking down more (better but needs more work)
    - bent over more and earlier
    - I think I was already shoving knees out

How does it look?

Deadlifts

I brought my notes from the video above and made sure I followed the steps. Still looks like I'm rounding my lower back. What should I do?

- bend my knees more in step 3? (which means having the bar more forward?)
    - work on flexibilty?
    - lower the weight?
    - remove the belt?
    - try to puff my chest harder in step4?
    - try sumo?

I have to mention that 3 weeks ago I hurt my lower back deadlifting and couldn't pick things from the floor for a week (feels much better now) So I'm keeping the weight lower until I get this form right.

Many thanks for all the comments!

starting strength coach development program
    Looks like you're still checking yourself out in the mirror. Knock it off. It'll help you bend over and sit back a bit more. Pick a spot somewhere low on that diamond plate and DO NOT stop starting at it. Looks like you tried to do this, and lost it on the first rep. Your bar position looks better, but could maybe be a touch lower. Your wrists start in a pretty good spot, although a little extended because your elbows are just a bit high. Watch what happens to them as the set goes on though. Your elbows move all over the place and your wrists get cranked back. Try to get them a little more neutral to start, with your elbows raised just enough to lock the bar onto the shelf of your rear delts, in conjunction with thoracic extension. Keep them there! I think fixing your eye gaze and bending over more will help with this.

On the deadlift, you're dropping your hips as you squeeze your chest up, so you're not really getting that lumbar extension going on. You're one long-legged dude, so your back is going to end up damn near horizontal. Make sure you keep your butthole pointed at the wall behind you as you squeeze your chest up. Are you able to control your lower back when you're standing? Have you tried the ole Superman drill?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12