starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat, press, deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by redbon2 View Post
    Ok, thanks for all the input guys. I did some revision videos I'll post below. I ordered some VS Athletics lifting shoes. They will be here next week. For this workout I used my old Converse Chucks. Still not adequate footwear, but better than my squishy running shoes.

Squats felt good, and balanced. On the deadlift vid, I exhaled at the top of the first rep. I corrected it for the next 4. I feel like my setup is good, but when I lower the bar my hips are going to low.

Old squat
    YouTube

Revised squat front
    YouTube

Revised squat rear
    YouTube

Revised squat side
    YouTube

Old press
    YouTube

Revised press
    https://youtu.be/URCRXbMHA2E

Deadlift
    https://youtu.be/rs7STkRgyR4

Thanks again for the critique.
    These are all more workable, much better.

Squat: set your hands on the bar, then duck your head under and wedge yourself into position, until the bar clicks into the shelf, which could be up to an inch lower on you. Before you take up the weight of the bar, your assistant can feel for your acromion, a bony part of your scapula above the shoulder joint, just above the bar. Proud chest, then stand up.

At the actual unrack, position your feet forward a little more so you can simply squat the bar up out of the hooks.

I get that you might be optimizing for filming angles, but don't take a walk with the bar; you should require only about three steps.

On a good number of reps, your hips and knees don't break at the same time, causing a little bar path problem.

Late in the descent, you lose a little thoracic and lumbar position. Big chest, big air, everything under your belt including spinal erectors is tight. Some people have had negative experiences with a velcro belt, so consider upgrading to a lifting belt, 4" all the way around, with a buckle.

Some reps look slightly high, but let's see if just bouncing your tight spine out of the bottom will fix that.

So, to start the rep, chest up, break! Tight!

Don't let all your air out at the top. You will not want anything relaxed when there's more weight on the bar. Just do a quick exhale-sip, regather your attitude and tightness, and nail the next rep.

On the press, stand up straight, big chest again. And you lose wrist position as the set goes on. Pre-rep checklist is "stand up," and "wrists." Now that your thumbs are around the bar, you'll find it easier to tighten your forearms by pressing your fingerprints into the bar.

Hip timing is real close, if not already there, keep it up. Best I can tell from this angle, arms are where they should be.

Deadlift: neutral neck, so eyeballs on the floor about 10 feet in front of you. Deliberately get the slack out of the system, feel the weight in your feet and hands, feel uncomfortable tightness in your back, hear the ends of the bar click, (that's four things -- pick one or two cues!) then stand up.

If you're trying to resurrect the thumbless monkey grip, ok, but the default is double overhand until that stops working, then transition into hook grip or alternate, both of which are thumbs around, for the work set and your last warm-up.

Exchange air only at the bottom; I think you've already got that, since you did it only on your first rep.

Ok, Im taking notes right now so I can do quick reviews throughout the day before my next workout tomorrow. I had my wife come look at the bar position on my back, and it was slightly high. Needed to be lowered about an inch. I think this will make it easier for me to keep my thoracic and lumber spine tight too, for a good bar path. Thanks for the heads up on the belt. Ill pick up one of the 4 inch leather buckle ones.

On the deadlift should my neck/head angle basically be inline with my back? Am I looking up to high? So squeeze my chest up, back and abs tight, but keep my head/neck same angle as spine? I was watching Rip's 5 step deadlift video and some them were lifting there head while squeezing the chest up, just before the pull.

I need to get out of the habit of the monkey grip. I compete in arm wrestling and I started gripping like that thinking it would strengthen my fingers more.

Thanks, hopefully I can get my form down within the next couple workouts.

Ok, Im taking notes right now so I can do quick reviews throughout the day before my next workout tomorrow. I had my wife come look at the bar position on my back, and it was slightly high. Needed to be lowered about an inch. I think this will make it easier for me to keep my thoracic and lumber spine tight too, for a good bar path. Thanks for the heads up on the belt. Ill pick up one of the 4 inch leather buckle ones.
    Alright, good. Note I summarized the main things as short cues, as it's not possible to pay attention to everything one's body needs to do under the bar.

On the deadlift should my neck/head angle basically be inline with my back? Am I looking up to high? So squeeze my chest up, back and abs tight, but keep my head/neck same angle as spine? I was watching Rip's 5 step deadlift video and some them were lifting there head while squeezing the chest up, just before the pull.
    If you're referring to the older, 4:3 aspect ratio videos, good catch, those trainees look up/horizontal. Those videos were shot prior to the third edition of BBT, and the model apparently evolved in between. See as well point #6 in
    Deconstructing the Deadlift
    And the recent article
    Looking Up in the Deadlift
    Some other recent exemplars have like 20 degrees of chin up.

I need to get out of the habit of the monkey grip. I compete in arm wrestling and I started gripping like that thinking it would strengthen my fingers more.
    Just wondering, was there any rationale behind that? Leaving out the thumb flexors is a... counterintuitive way of strengthening them. Deadlifting 300+ pounds double overhand intuits favorably towards grip strength. After a certain point, though, other guys on this board have performed additional exercises, try search function.

Thanks, hopefully I can get my form down within the next couple workouts.
    You're quite welcome. You'll do fine.

Ok thanks for that info.

The thumb isn't used a lot in an armwrestling other than something to hold on too. I wanted my 4 fingers strong enough to keep somebody's hand from opening them up in a toproll.

I received my weight lifting shoes yesterday. They felt good for squats this morning, felt balanced. Here are my 2 final sets of the squat. The bar is lower on my back now. After watching them I feel like maybe it was too low? Idk though, I felt prety good. Had a little bit of lower back achey soreness, after last set, but it went away pretty quick. My right shoulder is starting to ache after I rack the weights too.

I tried keeping my upper back tighter, and flexing my and and spinal erectors harder too.

Squat 1
    YouTube

Squat 2
    YouTube

I also ordered a good weight lifting belt. 4" with one prong buckle. Will be here tomorrow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12