starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat and deadlift form please check

Default Squat and deadlift form please check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches, with my squat I noticed very mild elbow sprain, which went away quickly I think it could be a grip issue, my squat is now 100kg and my deadlift 102.5kg, I think this disparity is due to my grip failings and just recent discovery of the hook grip although when I filmed my work set it didn't look right
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube

Thanks to all the coaches who have already helped me, I know a 100kg squat is nothing but I wouldn't even be here if it weren't for this forum

The most visible issue with your grip is how extended your wrists are, which is causing you to drop your elbows as you descend. Get them in a straight, neutral position, and lock the bar into place by puffing your chest up.

You're also divebombing a lot of these, and going deeper than you have to. Control the descent until you're just below parallel and then catch the bounce off your hamstrings, not your knees.

As far as your deadlift goes, the biggest problem is the complete absence of step 4, squeezing your chest up to set your back. Your spine never even approaches extension, and it doesn't look like you're even trying to do it. You're raising your eye gaze without lifting your chest, so you're not getting any extension. Squeeze your chest up without dropping your hips, take your big breath, and then pull. You should be uncomfortable, feeling the weight of the bar in your hands and on your feet before you start the pull.

Hi failed badly today grip was really painful on my elbows, I think I am squatting with thoratic flexion, the bar just doesn't feel right like I can't feel the shelf, I think when the weight gets heavy I divebomb to compensate rather than getting tighter, I really badly need advice on this here's the footage I got 3 reps first time then just failed without a rep the second time
    YouTube

Do you think maybe I should try wrapping my thumb around the bar
    Thumbs-Around Grip | Darin Deaton.
    Do you think this could help? Also sorry for this particularly dumb question, is there any easy way or feeling to know you have hit depth, any advice or tips would be great coach. Thank you for your time

I bit the bullet and got my younger brother record me trying to lowbar grip with me trying to keep my wrist straight, this felt quite strange, like I've never felt before although the bar was empty, it felt locked or at least more than usual
    YouTube

That grip looks a lot better! Try it with some actual weight next time you squat. You still need more thoracic extension, so I'll refer you to the video I posted before. Proud chest!

As far as feeling proper depth, have you gone through the full teaching progression? Start your next squat session with the first step, squatting down with your hands in prayer position and your elbows shoving your knees out. That's proper depth. Make it part of your warm up. Maybe even do it before each warm up set. I do it sometimes, because I have a tendency to squat a bit low as well. Remember the feeling, and slow your descent down enough that you can actually tell when you hit it. You'll never find it if you're dropping like a rock.

Do you think a deload is necessary while I try to implement these changes, as my last squats were a carwreck at 3,0,0. Thanks for your time

Depends on whether or not you can make the necessary changes at your current weight. Give it a try and see what happens.

Squats felt better, improved grip helped weight feel more secure, I was trying to immediately cue up up up. I did notice that on my worksets my grip has more flexion. Deadlift was disappointing I thought I was really cueing squeezing my chest but alas I wasn't.
    Anyways here's the footage coaches
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube
    Thank you for your time and invaluable advice and critique

starting strength coach development program
    today I know it sounds silly but my phone going off in the 3rd set really threw me off, lesson learnt next time phone on silent, also im finding the proud chest cue difficult to implement any advice
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast