starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After being a stubborn jackass for too long, I’ve switched from high bar to low bar squats. Thing is, they feel HEAVY. I was comfortably doing 5 sets of 5 high bar at 285, but I leading up to that with my low bar I felt like I was going to die so I reset back down to 225 and have just been doing a standard LP and adding 10 lbs twice a week. My thoughts are that it either felt really heavy because my technique was off, or because it’s using muscles previously untouched in the high bar. Either way, after feeling like hammered s*#^ the first 2 workouts I’m feeling better with the weight on my back (lifting 3 sets of fahves of 245), but I’m still wondering if my form or lackthereof is working against me. Any other sets of eyes reviewing my form would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube

YouTube

Chest up and lean over.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Chest up and lean over.
    Just to clarify, does this mean I'm staying too upright in terms of back angle?

Yup! Squatting deeper than you have to too. Especially in the side view video. Think knees out and sit back for depth. Focus on keeping the chest up as you bend over more. It's easy to lose thoracic extension as you try to bend over. It might feel like you're squatting shallow. Resist the urge to go ass to grass. Drive up with your ass, not your chest.

I’ve been plugging away at my low bar and am back up to where I was with high bar. It feels way more comfy now, the difficulty coming from moving the weight rather than where the weight is sitting on my back. Any eyes on my form would be greatly appreciated. This is my last set of 5 at 280. I’m probably getting close to the end of my low bar LP, but I know I’m also getting lifting shoes for Christmas so I’m going to try to milk it for awhile longer. Regardless, any tips would be appreciated.

YouTube