starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A while back I posted a form check cideo and tried to improve what was wrong with my form. I can squat 135kg beltless without any back issues, but when I try 100kg deadlift for 5 reps, my back starts to ache and I can't continue with training. Here's a video of me doing 100kg for 5 reps. Streamable

The video doesn't play.

Where does your back hurt? Lower back? That probably has more to do with how you're putting the bar down than picking it up. You're practically throwing the bar at the ground with spinal flexion. You can hurt yourself just as easily putting it back down. Lower the bar with hip flexion, by sticking your butt back, maintaining rigid spinal extension the whole time.

Upper back/neck? Probably has to do with that weird thing you're doing with your neck, keeping your chin jammed to your neck like that. Pick a spot on the floor about 10 feet (3 m) in front of you that puts your neck in a comfortable, neutral position. I thought you were going to do it on the last rep, but then you cranked your head to the left to look at something!

The problem is that my lower back hurts while I'm picking the bar up.

I won't claim to have the experience dealing with injuries to tell you what you should do from here to fix it. However, if you've always been deadlifting like you were in the video, I'm willing to bet the pain has to do with the fact that you're completely, almost aggressively, giving up on spinal position as you lower the bar. My inclination is to suggest finding a weight that you can deadlift with perfect form, both on the way up and the way down, and building up from there. I'm happy to be educated by anyone with more experience, but in the meantime you could give it a try and see how it feels. Just because you're feeling the pain picking it up, doesn't mean it wasn't caused by the the way you've been lowering it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyM View Post
    Move the bar a couple cm away from your shins; your shins are too vertical. Point your toes out more.

Deliberately take at least two seconds to accomplish Step 4 of the deadlift setup instead of ripping the bar off the floor.

Stand up all the way at the top for one second instead of being in a big giant hurry.

There is nothing wrong with his shin angle. Look at his neck/eyegaze position. Is there anything about this that might cause some low back position problem?

Eye gaze helps with proper back angle, so with a gaze between his toes he's extending knees too soon, back angle stays horizontal longer, so the moment on lumbar doesn't drop off as soon as it should.

A soft neck could also be offloading some of the work from the thoracic spinal erectors to the lumbar erectors, and thus... etc.

How'd I do?

starting strength coach development program
    The cervical is connected to the thoracic is connected to the lumbar. Looking at one's belly button puts the cervical in extreme flexion. This has an impact on everything down the spine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast